Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help!! Anyone else have anal gland issues with their beagles? There is NO worse smell than this :grr: I've noticed recently that their poo is softer than normal so I think that it's not hard enough to express the glands as necessary. Anything you can give to firm up their stool ? They have a vet visit this Saturday so I'm sure they will have to be expressed but ..... any other suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Leia has had anal gland issues since we bought them home and she's had them expressed and been on antibiotics twice with it. She gets very uncomfortable down below and walks about two steps and sits again, than licks her bum.

The vet told us that if it's a re-occuring thing that they get owners to try fibre in their diet first to harden the stools. Then if that doesn't work, they elect to operate.

So maybe just add a little bit of fibre to their water, or into their food depending on what you feed them.

(... Erin)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Erin. I'll get something and put with their food. I saw something in here somewhere about pumpkin beinga good source of fiber ?? Anyone ever just use metamucil or something like that? I'm not sure what to use. ????

Do you get the awful smell with Leia's too ??

·
Premium Member
2,594 Posts
Teddy has this problem from time to time, and yes, it is an awful smell! :pukey: Our vet said some dogs are prone to this problem and more fiber may help. I have not tried pumpkin, because Teddy also has tummy issues(throws up very easily)and really can't tolerate any change in diet from his Sensitive Stomach Nutro dry food. Thank goodness Phoebe doesn't have this problem!

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
I deal with this issue also. I would caution you to add the fiber SLOWLY....not too much at once, until their systems are used to it....otherwise, you'll have upset tummies and diarrhea. Pumpkin, green beans, sweet potato are good options (ask your vet). I bought an organic, high fiber dog food which they eat also.

I have learned to express Maggie myself. She fills up quickly, so a trip to the vet each time she needs it is out of the question. ONLY when I ignore the early signs, does she pay the price with illness, and I pay the price in dollars.

It's a nasty job, but she feels better afterwards, so it's worth it!! I put her in the tub, then clean her bum with baby wipes (or give her a bath if she's due).

CAUTION: wear safety glasses, and don't keep your mouth open /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

P.S. High fiber hasn't done much to help Maggie's anal glands, but it keeps her regular (she has constipation also). Good Luck

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the great advice. I do plan to call the vet today for their advice as well.

I am soooo scared to try to do it myself!! I'm afraid I will do something wrong and hurt them somehow. I admire you for being able to do that - just don't think I can do it.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by debannib:
I deal with this issue also. I would caution you to add the fiber SLOWLY....not too much at once, until their systems are used to it....otherwise, you'll have upset tummies and diarrhea. Pumpkin, green beans, sweet potato are good options (ask your vet). I bought an organic, high fiber dog food which they eat also.

I have learned to express Maggie myself. She fills up quickly, so a trip to the vet each time she needs it is out of the question. ONLY when I ignore the early signs, does she pay the price with illness, and I pay the price in dollars.

It's a nasty job, but she feels better afterwards, so it's worth it!! I put her in the tub, then clean her bum with baby wipes (or give her a bath if she's due).

CAUTION: wear safety glasses, and don't keep your mouth open /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

P.S. High fiber hasn't done much to help Maggie's anal glands, but it keeps her regular (she has constipation also). Good Luck
:pukey: is right sometimes I feel like I need a raincoat. it so grows's me out so much

Adam

·
Registered
326 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by luvnbeagles:
Thanks Erin. I'll get something and put with their food. I saw something in here somewhere about pumpkin beinga good source of fiber ?? Anyone ever just use metamucil or something like that? I'm not sure what to use. ????

Do you get the awful smell with Leia's too ??
VERY bad smell, we went for a road trip a few weekends ago and we could smell it, it was horrible. Not sure why because they wouldn't go to the toilet.. Unless some excreated when she farted or something? NO idea.

Leia is terrified of Vets because of her previous anal gland issues and the vet's traumatising her. I now have to take her for visits to the vets to get her used to the practise and not scared about going there.

Metamucil.. or over here in Aus, we have benefibre. She hasn't had an issue for a few months now (*touches wood*).. but I'm sure it will come up soon.

I couldn't do it ourselves, I nearly :pukey: at the vets when I smell it.. neverlone smelling AND seeing! No thank you.

(... Erin)

·
Registered
19 Posts
So I'm not the only one who deals with this?

I adopted a 6 year old beagle back in February. I've had problems with her anal glands since. Every 2-3 weeks we are at the vets because she stinks so bad w/anal glands, and constantly scooting. She eats a high quality dog food and treats are organic and kept to a minimum. Still it happens! Jake can go two months without getting his done, but Fancys at the vets every couple weeks! Pretty soon she might have to have some procedure where they stick oitment down in there and see if that will help. Heres are also slightly infected and not getting any better.. It's just a constant thing with here.
A home remedy for dogs w/diarreah or loose stools is canned pumpkin, not the pie filling but 100% pumkin canned. If anybody has had the procedure done i'm talking about, can you tell me if it has helped?

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Houndlove:
So I'm not the only one who deals with this?
Definitely not! If you search back in the forums for "anal gland" (such a lovely search term - I warn from bitter experience not to just google it without quotes or "dog" or something - it just turns up WAY too many things I didn't want to know about!) I'm sure you will find many, many useful threads about all sorts of related issues from the pumpkin to the last resort of surgery (which we have had to have with two of our three).

We did have the "squirt something in there" treatment for one of our dogs - it did help with the particular infection he had that one time, but they continued to get infected again and again and eventually the vet warned that if we didn't have them removed and they got scarred from all of the infections it could mean that the risk of complications (the lovely "fecal incontinence") could go way up. At that point we had them removed and he has never looked back (or smelled again back there, for that matter)!

And for fibre we never tried the canned pumpkin although we did hear about it. We used instead a Canadian food called Medi-Cal Fibre Formula with very good results - it makes the poop very, very firm and does help somewhat - although all we found was that it helped us go longer between squeezes as opposed to making the problem go entirely away. I don't know how widely it is available but lots of vets in Canada do sell it, at least.

Good luck and don't forget to search back in the forums.

·
Registered
24 Posts
We had to express Lady's once...but never since. I dunno why? We did it ourselves. We have had vet's show us how to do it before and thought we'd have a go. Hopefully we'll NEVER have to do it again! It's GROSS! Now, we have a lab and our vet tells us to give her Pepto Bismol which hardens her stool. I would def talk to your vet before giving your beagle this though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts