Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! as my name suggests, our latest addition is Sadie, an 8 month old shelter adopted beagle. She joins our other 5 canine family members, none of which are beagles! We have Daisy, a 11 yr old Basset Hound, rescue, Chloe, an 8 year old Blood Hound, also a rescue, Maggie, a 7 year old great dane, (the dumbest dog on the planet, but we love her anyway!) Rogue, a 2 year old Kelpie I believe is a permanent foster (my sons dog) and Moose, a 3 year old St. Bernard, also a rescue. I adore my big dogs, but my heart belongs to the scent hounds, and Sadie is my third beagle, so I am well acquainted with all of thier wiles! I live on a couple of acres in rural eastern iowa with my DH, and a 14 yo stepson still at home. The others have all flown the coop, scattered all over the country, and one currently serving with the USMC in Iraq. I work as a vet assistant for a mixed large/small animal practice and I hope I can add some useful info. I have previously done transport for great danes in rescue and worked with BH rescue as well. I look forward to posting some pics and getting to know all of you better. Thanks for welcoming me in!

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
As they say in some places, you sound like good people! To have rescued so many large dogs...not enough people do that! Bless you!

My brother has a bloodhound named Hunter who works for the police (along with my brother) department. He us a big galoot and no matter how careful you are, you WILL get slobber on you if you get in the immediate vicinity of him. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

My Henry was a rescue and our first beagle. We are completely in love with him. Our other two girls are mixes, also rescues and they took to Henry right away.

Congrats on your latest baby, Sadie. What is her story?

It sounds like you have a wonderful family and a heart of gold to go with it.

Welcome to BW. :wave:

~Denise

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Wow -- you are our hero, taking in so many rescue dogs!! :thumbup: Rescues can come with a lot of "stuff" so I bet you've got lots of tales to tell. How great that you have land for the dogs to romp in and a veterinary background to help keep them in line. I have one rescue, Maggie who will be 12 soon, and she keeps me quite busy. Looking forward to pics -- you are welcome to post pics of all your pups -- your non-beagles are now "honorary" beagles!

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Welcome, and thanks for giving so many babes their forever homes!! :angel: Yours must be a very busy household! We'd love to see pictures when you have time. And we'll hold a good thought for your serviceman in Iraq!

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
[No message]

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Howdy :wave: Welcome to Beagle World! A big welcome arrroooo to Sadie, Daisy and Chloe. I love scenthounds too! I love to know more of Moose as I've know several St Bernards and everyone has had a different personality! Poor Maggie, Great Dane a just big dumb lovable beasts but I know what you mean, they aren't the brightest of canines. Sounds like Rogue has a forever home! I bet Sadie will put some extra zip in Daisy's stride. Looking forward to hearing more about all your gang.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
A big welcome to Beagle World! :wave: Your rescue family is even bigger than ours. Li'l Girl is my rescue beagle, Traveler is, we think, a Rhodesian Ridgeback mix, also a rescue, Spook, another rescue looks to be a lab/aussie mix, Misty, our senior, a whippet, is the only one who isn't a rescue. There's also Miss Priss, calico cat, who came to us off the street more than 13 years ago. We often wonder how we ended up with so many furkids, but each is special. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

P.S. Semper Fi to your Marine. My husband is retired USMC.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, lets see. I had always wanted a basset hound, but my x refused to get a 2nd dog. I got Daisy from our local shelter the day my divorce was final! She has had back surgery for a ruptured disc and is now on thyroid medication, she can get quite cranky! We also got her as a companion for my now husband's beagle Patches (ATB) Patches needed a buddy, and Daisy fit the bill quite nicely. I wanted a great dane and after several years of research i settled on a great dane. We looked into rescue, but since I had no experience with giant breeds, and knowing how many rescues come with "baggage" we elected to get a dane puppy. Maggie has no idea of how large she is and wanted nothing more than to play with patches, and had not yet learned to adjust her play to a smaller dog. Patches was spending a lot of time in her crate to get away from the rough housing, so we decided maggie needed a playmate. An online basset friend told us of a group of dogs near her mother that were in dire need of rescue. This in SC. There were nearly 25 dogs, starving and fighting over dead dog carcasses to eat. The authorities would do nothing. She said there was a dane bloodhound mix there that would be a good companion for Maggie. So we headed from iowa to SC to get Chloe. She was HW+, full of fire ant bites and 40 lbs underweight. She is sweet as can be, the only thing she still does is bark at the other dogs when she is eating.. thoe food bowls need to be full at all times or she barks until they are, even if she doesn't eat anything. She is sweet as pie, very tolerant of everything and is now HW free, and a whoppng 130 lbs. We moved to the country, (in part for the dogs) Ken was running Chloe and Patches for rabbits and Patches got on a scent trail. She was hit by a train. Ken has never really gotten over it, and has patiently waited through two other dogs before his longing got the best of him. Moose was going to be put down by his owners if he didn't find a home, a case of cute puppy, too bg a dog. He needed eye surgery and has knee problems. The entropion surgery was successful and his knees are treated with medication.
Sadie had been in our local shelter since the day before Xmas. We adopted her the end of february. Moose snapped at her once and that was it. She fit in like she has always been here. She adores playing with Maggie and Rogue, and has even brought daisy out of her canine Alzheimers on many days. Even Moose likes to play with her. Now if I can only get her to let the baby bunnies alone, all will be well!

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Welcome! You have quite a group. My Maggie is an 11 month old beagle. When we walked into our local pet store on Saturday (they were having a spring fair event), the first thing Maggie saw was a great dane. Maggie wouldn't budge despite, coaxing and tugging on my part until she saw that great dane calmly sniffing a little corgi. Maggie and the great dane did make friends by the end of the event. I am sure you have lots of fun stories. Looking forward to hearing them.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Welcome to BeagleWorld - that is quite the pack you have! We also have a Moose - but he is a beagle so your Moose is probably much closer to the size of the real thing than ours!

Looking forward to lots of stories of the whole gang.

·
Registered
448 Posts
WOW Sadiemakes6, you do sound like someone I could get along with well! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
I live down south of Ottumwa, not sure exactly where you are. I am near the MO border.
We have 3 beagles here, a dad-Harley, his daughter-Maggie, and a new fellow Chopper who showed up this winter when it was 20 below in Jan/Feb.
Maggie is in heat now, and this summer I will have her fixed, but maybe some pups before then? Who knows, thats how Maggie came along after all!

PS. I had a Sadie too. I gave her to a family with a farm near Des Moines but she ran off on them. They didnt quite realize how much beagles go with their noses I guess. So she is lost in the great wide open fields somewhere in Iowa, but hopefuly she has found a good home by now, but she would be nearly 2 by now.

Hugs and puppy love
Judi and the gang

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Wow Sandiemakes6, you have a very strong background of raising dogs. You might share a few of your valuable experience!
Welcome :wave:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts