Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well... Erin and I have been going back and forth for the past year or so, trying to decide if we should get another dog. Daisy is a player and Rocky, not so much. So we've been wanting to get a playmate for Daisy and give Rocky a break.

Anyway, we'd been casually looking at petfinder and the rescues, but nothing really came up. Then one day a few weeks ago, Erin got an email from a co-worker who got it from a friend, about someone in their church who was trying to find a home for their beagle, Gracee.

They found Gracee in the median on Interstate 10, between Tallahassee and Marianna on their way back from Disney with their youth group. The couple felt bad for her and picked her up, thinking they'd find her owners. It turned out she did have a microchip, implanted by a Petland that was in Tallahassee a few years ago. Unfortunately, the Petland closed down and the owners never transferred their information to the microchip. The couple spoke with several "higher ups" with Petland and found out that at the time Gracee was purchased, they weren't keeping any records of the buyers. So the microchip was a dead end. The couple tried and tried to find the owners, but no luck.

During this time, they really thought Gracee was pregnant, but a vet nearby assured them she wasn't. But she was, in fact, heartworm positive and full of fleas. Since the vet assured them there was no pregnancy, they went ahead and did the treatment. Unfortunately, it turned out Gracee was indeed pregnant. She ended up only having one puppy and lost that one as well. The couple is pretty sure the loss was related to the heartworm treatment, but the vet wouldn't confirm that (we've heard of multiple people having issues with this particular vet).

Anyway, they kept Gracee through all that, but have decided that their lifestyle (youth pastors on the go a lot) is just not right for a dog, especially an energetic beagle who climbs their chain link fence every day and gets out.

We decided to give her a try. The couple brought her to a park near us and we got all the dogs together. Let me just caveat this by saying, generally Daisy and Rocky are not good with other dogs. It takes them a while to get used to a new "friend." The first meet, though, went pretty well. Daisy was great although she didn't want to play with Gracee. Rocky, of course, didn't like her, but he tolerated her.

That was a week ago, so this weekend we decided to bring her to the house and keep her overnight. She has been so wonderful and Daisy actually played with her yesterday!! We were shocked. Up until that point we hadn't made a final decision about keeping/not keeping her. But after she and Daisy played, we were sold. Rocky still doesn't really like her, but again, tolerates her. I think he'll get used to it, especially if Daisy stops harassing him. LOL

We're taking her back to her current owners who are going to go through a rescue to get her spayed and get her cherry eye fixed. We'll then make a donation/adoption through the rescue and pick her up for good next weekend.

I hope we can handle three!!! LOL

Again, sorry so long... here are some pics!

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
:celebrate: Congrats (again)!

She is certainly adorable and looks very comfy in that last pic!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
156 Posts
great pics!!! She looks like she is fitting in well :)

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
More adorable pics!
I love her little jacket!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks everyone, her little jacket is Daisy's old jacket that she outgrew :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Shes cute (as are your other two) Touching story. I'm sorry I do not like PetLand and they have a Bad Rep here. i am skeptical about vets as well. ive met horrible ones and very nice ones. I went to three different vets with my boxer when i had him. My older beagle is now 1 year and almost 3 months, and has seen 3 vets as well. The 1st one, her knowledge sucks she was more gimme me money, here you NEED to buy this and that, blah blah. I worked for PetSmart so I am knowledgeable. The 2nd vet was just plain snotty to me. and the 3rd is very nice. but she only works on wed and is usually busy because everyone likes her. she was actually in Bird Talk and Reptiles USA magazines.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Maybe this is addressed in another post somewhere, but how much do vets generally charge to fix cherry eye?? Seems to be common enough to be prepared in case it happens!

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Someone else just went through this. they didn't mention cost. I would call around places. If there is a vet school around you it will be cheaper.

·
Registered
135 Posts
someone looks like they have already settled in their new home:hyper:

Great pictures love the one over the shoulder:yes:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts