Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang! Again, thanks to all for your advice and encouragement.

Was going throught the newspaper ads this past week and imagine my surprise when I see an ad for tri-color beagles, 5 months old and the very same phone number that I called back in August when we got Brie!! Brie was one of 6 puppies and it seems that 5 of the puppies were returned to this woman. I decided to call one of the references that I was given to see if I could find out what the problem was, keeping my fingers crossed that it wasn't health related and to my relief it was because she hadn't socialized them and as a result all of the puppies are extremely fearful and the people that had bought them just couldn't deal with it so they took them back. Now she is trying to sell them again, which annoys me a little, since no mention is made about this problem. The lady that I called as a reference said that she had no idea that her friend wasn't as experienced with breeding beagles, as she thought and was very sorry to have misled me. Anyway, I suggested that she tell her to either wean them properly(she removed the mom and dad when the pups were only 5 weeks old!), or at least be honest about their lack of socialization, when it comes time to sell the puppies. Fortunately, I have raised a number of puppies over the years, although never one as fearful as Brie, so at least I know with a bit of patience and a lot of time, she will probably grow out of it, she is already making great progress, but to an inexperienced dog owner, this problem can sometimes seem unsolvable causing them to give up on the pup and that is a shame.

I wish that I could have contacted the other owners to put them in touch with BW before they made the decision to return the pups, it might have changed their minds. I would like to ask that everyone hold a good thought that these pups find good homes soon. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Lora&Tippi...and now Brie
"My little dog. A hearbeat at my feet."
Edith Wharton

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Oh my goodness the poor things. We shall keep our fingers crossed that all go to good homes now.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Poor puppies... I wonder where the vet was during the pregnancy and the delivery of the litter. They usually provide consult on how to go about socializing the litter and when to start "give" them away to forever homes.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Wow, how horrible for those puppies..they need to get in good homes NOW, or they will likely have trust issues with humans for a really long time if not the rest of their lives....

But, your post is really encouraging to me b/c we rescued Snoopy a few years ago, and he is so terrified of humans it is crazy!!! We thought he was abused but maybe he just wasnt socialized, which I hope was more the case.

He loves us, maybe b/c we played w/him in the pound every day for a week b/f we got him, but he will not let ANYONE touch him...but us!! And his day care peeps.

When we used to use the harness (thinking it was the safest for him), if he got scarred, he pulled right out of it...ran into the road so many times....we had to finally get a choke on him b/c of his safety..we cant risk him running away just b/c he is scarred.

We had to sedate him at one point, used DAP plug ins for the outlet to just let him feel comfortable in a city like Chicago..now we are in Cali, he doesnt need it, much more quiet, but the security guard still cant get close to him to give him a treat, and I cant walk him around any humans still....how horrible is that?? I hate it, but love that I rescued him b/c he may have been returned b/c he is really hard to deal with at times.

Good for you for keeping him....that is awesome. I dont know how old your baby is but hopefully you can get him out of this b/f it is too late!!

PS...to all those reading this....i have heard that getting a confident beagle, not scarred, socialized, to be a companion to Snoops would be a good idea...hint hint...getting close and crossing fingers.

Manda and Snoops......

·
Registered
837 Posts
This breeder sounds appalling. Unfortunately there are far too many people who breed for the sake of breeding, not for the improvement of the breed, without any knowledge in genetics or how to successfully raise a litter of puppies. It makes it very hard on puppy owners to determine who is a good and ethical breeder and who isn't because a breeder may say the right thing but do something completely different.

Those poor puppies. I hope the breeder learns from her mistake and really examines her breeding program before breeding again.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Brie, too, is terrified of people, and goes into attack mode at the sight of other dogs, if we are walking around our home. However, the dog park is another thing. The first time we went we kept her on leash for the first few minutes. Ron,"the brave" started to take her leash off and I screamed, "NO NOT YET"!!!, to the amusement of everyone in the park. Fortunately for Brie, he ignored me and let her off the leash and she ran over to this pack of dogs like she had been doing it her entire life. She just loves it and drives us crazy on the days that we can't go. This weekend we are off to a Beagle meetup in our area and we are really looking forward to it. So, Pegasus, just be patient with Snoopy. My vet assures me that with alot of patience and time that Brie should grow out of this fearful period.
Just try to expose Snoopy to all sorts of different things and situations slowly and things should turn around for you. She also informed me that when she examined Brie's teeth, it looked like she might only be 4 months old, not five months like we thought which is just one more thing to be annoyed with regarding this breeder.
Oh Well...

Lora&Tippi...and now Brie
"My little dog. A heartbeat at my feet."
Edith Wharton

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thats the case with Penny as well. She is not terrified of people but she is a pretty skittish pup. She does cower when she goes up to people and other dogs but she's brave and wants to be cuddled so she goes up to them anyway. She was raised as an outside dog and a hunter so although she got to go out on the weekends with the other dogs and hunt I don't believe she was played with very often. She adapted to inside life VERY fast and now can't get enough of her soft bed and fluffy blanket and toys. We are taking her to obedience class so that she can get some training and some socialization. So far we've only had one day of class so she's still got a long way to go. She'll make it though!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Lora&Tippi:
[QB] Brie, too, is terrified of people, and goes into attack mode at the sight of other dogs, if we are walking around our home. However, the dog park is another thing. The first time we went we kept her on leash for the first few minutes. Ron,"the brave" started to take her leash off and I screamed, "NO NOT YET"!!!, to the amusement of everyone in the park. Fortunately for Brie, he ignored me and let her off the leash and she ran over to this pack of dogs like she had been doing it her entire life. She just loves it and drives us crazy on the days that we can't go. This weekend we are off to a Beagle meetup in our area and we are really looking forward to it. So, Pegasus, just be patient with Snoopy. My vet assures me that with alot of patience and time that Brie should grow out of this fearful period.
Just try to expose Snoopy to all sorts of different things and situations slowly and things should turn around for you. She also informed me that when she examined Brie's teeth, it looked like she might only be 4 months old, not five months like we thought which is just one more thing to be annoyed with regarding this breeder.
Oh Well...
This might be an interesting read for you - it is a puppy development calendar that is the result of many puppy growth & development cycles under observation. The purpose of this calendar is to be used as a tool or guide for those raising pups to use to identify temperament changes in their pups during development. One important feature that can be of great value are knowing when the "periods of fear" will be present. These are development periods in pups lives that see the pups' thresholds to negative, often nervous behaviours, lowered.

Anyway I will let you read it, if Brie is 9 months old she is at an age where she could be going through her second fear period. This is important to acknowledge because doing the wrong thing with her during this time can result in issues with her behaviour down the track.

It might also give you a good idea why she is as fearful as she is, due to things she missed out on in her early development.

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=117592

1 - 8 of 8 Posts