Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh my gosh I was so scared. We had puppy class at PetSmart this morning. The training room is enclosed, and the trainer had left the room for a couple minutes to get something. Daisy was off her leash so that we could work on getting her to listen to me better when off the leash. Well, someone opened the door with no warning and she bolted. I ran out after her and she was headed straight for the front door. She would stop and look at me when I called her name, but she was thinking it was a game so she kept running right for the doors and the parking lot. I was in a total panic because the doors are automatic and would open when she got near them. Luckily, a lady happened to walk in the door right as Daisy ran up and she just grabbed her. I was so thankful to that woman. Daisy would have run straight out into the parking lot and who knows what would have happened out there.

The person who opened the door without warning us needs to be smacked upside the head. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/pimp.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I know you were in a real panic! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rotatesmiley2.gif Am so glad that Daisy was caught before getting outside. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hapfac01.gif

·
Registered
443 Posts
Oh wow - you were soooooooooo lucky that the lady was there to catch Daisy and that Daisy never made it thru the door. Your experience is almost like deja-vu /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/alien1.gif for me except that my Shiloh DID make it thru the door - no one even tried to stop him. We also were in class at Petsmart (about 3-4 years ago) we were on break - walking around the store towards the very middle of it and straight back from the door and yes, the automatic kind. He started pulling bak and slipped his collar. I kept calling him as he ran towards the door loud enough /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/pimp.gif I know people recognized this was not right but no offers of help. As Shiloh ran up to the door, yep - they opened and out into the parking lot he ran. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rotatesmiley2.gif
My heart dropped because across the parking lot there was another small building then a very busy main street right by the entrance ramp onto the hi-way. Finally - after he ran around that other building a few times (never did go towards the main street or entrance to the hiway) /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hapfac01.gif a good samaritan was able to catch him. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/icon_exclaim.gif
After that, no more problems with him getting loose at PetSmart. Now I am doing classes with Shasta but she is smaller and definitely more food motivated than Shiloh altho Shiloh loves his food too - but he likes to get out just as much.

We definitely do have angels /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sleepy.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/icon_exclaim.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sleepy.gif watching out for our Beagles

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
So glad Daisy is safe! That would have given me a heart attack!

·
Registered
605 Posts
When I was a little girl I was at a pet store when a lady's Beagle slipped its collar and took off running. I somehow managed to catch the little Houdini! Another time (just a couple of years ago) I jumped out in traffic to catch somebody's loose puppy. Luckily the karma has followed me whenever mine decided to take off in public places...

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I worry about that at our Petsmart too. It seems like there should be a caution sign on the door. I am so glad you got her back.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I agree, a sign should be posted warning of off-leash dogs and to watch them as you enter. I hope that person who let Daisy out learned a lesson today.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Wow...that's great that someone was there and willing to help out! My parents' dog used to run a lot. She would always follow our street and the only times we were able to catch her was when she stopped to go potty. It has been years since she has done that. I used to get so scared when that happened, so I know the feeling. There's just too many things that could go wrong.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Scout has gotten off her collar on walks twice. Once I let go of the leash and once the leash came off for some reason. Luckily both happened close to the house. But she still recognized the freedom and my attempts to grab her became a game. Its stressful because she doesn't understand that the road has cars on it. When I let go of the leash I was able to get her to run next to me and then reach down and grab the leash. This was after about 45 mins of chasing her around in someone else's yard. I must have looked like a fool. The second time my wife was driving by and we both we able to try and get her. Again it was a game and she wised up to treats, I had to get her to come close and then reach out and grab her.

·
Registered
223 Posts
You know, I have been watching "its the dog or me" on animal planet and the lady who trains bad dogs has a trick where if you're running after a dog he'll keep running so next time you call his name and walk the other way. Since you're the pack leader he will want to follow you. I dont know how well this works, especially with beagles and their stubborn curiousity, but it might be something to try out. Of course, I know that if the same situation happeend to me i would be running after Arty as well.. its like a reflex or an instinct. Im glad this story had a really good ending though!

·
Registered
751 Posts
I would be terried. Marley has slipped out of his collar a time or two in our backyard or driveway. My reaction is split second, I dropped down and get excited and say Marley come. Or sometimes Marley look (he thinks he will get food when I say look). He has done well each time. This last time, I just said Marley come and turned like I was going nside and he ran to follow me. He's older now though and we started training the come command right away.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I started training Henry to come when called right away when I adopted him. I took him to all sorts of places that were enclosed and safe then let him off his lead. I started out by calling for him and then running the opposite direction. Now he comes to his name and the command as well as a whistle. The training has worked wonders anytime he's gotten loose.

·
Registered
862 Posts
That must have been quite scary /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rotatesmiley2.gif Phew, I'm glad Daisy is safe.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Polly has snuck out the door twice this week, and runs across the street each time. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/exactly.gif

I get so mad at her, once she's safe.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts