Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I almost got the beagle puppy that I want so bad...here is the story...for those who dont know me, Ill tell in more detail.

We just moved from Chicago to S. California. A thing we did a lot in Chitown was to go to the rescue society and look at the dogs....that is where we found Snoopy, fell in love, and adopted him....and we still went back after we had Snoopy b/c Ron just loves to do this for some reason?? (I tear up every time I go there)

Anyway, we came to Cali, and up the road from Snoopy's doggy daycare is a dog shop, we went in, thinking it was food, treats, ect.....OMG NO, there were puppies everywhere...in these crates, puppies ONLY!!

My first thought was OMG these poor pups they have to be from puppy mills...then we saw a beagle puppy...since we got Snoopy as a rescue, I have NEVER seen a beagle puppy, I about died....we HAD to walk him, he was 3 months old, so cute. We took him to an area where you can play with the pups, and we did..I just couldnt let go of him, although he just wanted to play..hehe...

Now, Ron and I have really wanted to get a beagle puppy for a while, just moving, starting a new job, a new area where we have never lived, ect...we didnt have time. But we know we want another beagle for Snoopy, and he has such fear of everything, every person, we cant take him in public, no one can pet him, he has ran away so much because of fear, so we think we want a pup that doesnt have as many issues.

First thing I asked...where did they come from...a puppy mill??....I was just so shocked to see this many puppies and I dont agree with the puppy mills at all....the lady looked in shock and says NO WAY..we are a Christian funded organization and they come from breeders..??

Anyway we played with him, left b/c we were getting ready to go on vacation to NC and NJ to see family, so of course we couldnt get him.

That was a month ago.....

Today we picked Snoops up from daycare, but Ron wanted to stop by the shop were the puppies were so he could play with them........but I said, "what if that beagle pup is STILL there, I just dont think I can handle it"....he said that if he was still there, we would adopt him!!!!

I freaked out, and he was serious too...but the beagle was gone, transfered to another place b/c if they do not sell at one place they go to another in the same company.

Now, Im torn. I have such a guilt of not getting a rescue, but here this poor pup is in a crate for months and is suppose to be a breeded beagle...cost of $1,000!...seriously? He is like a rescue to me....and WHY would you have a full breed in a shop..he had papers and all!!!

How can I support this when I feel there are so many rescues out there that need help...but I just fell in love with this beagle pup we almost had him for our own, now he is gone. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

Im not sure what I want....AND if anyone knows of ANY beagle rescue places in S. California, please let me know, we have not found any /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif

sorry for the long post.

Manda and Snooops

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Oh my goodness you must feel very torn. Did you ask where the pup had gone to? If its the same firm then maybe they could bring him back. Did you try Snoopy with another dog? He would probably be best with a female beagle.
I am sure someone on here will let you know where the nearest rescue centre is, maybe there is a beagle waiting for you . Good luck.
Angela

·
Registered
786 Posts
Try Petfinder.com and put in where you are and that will bring up all the dogs in your area. Or narrow it down to only beagles.... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Hi Manda!

Puppy mills are a double edged sword as far as I'm concerned. Adopting an animal from a petshop or puppymill is definetely considered a rescue but at the same time you hate to encourage the nasty mass breeding places by giving them money.

I smirked at the ladies response to your question about if these were puppy mill dogs. Pet shops will never admit to that. Plus her explanation that they are Christians and would never do that is lame.

You might have missed the Amish Puppy Mill story on the board several months ago. Not far from us, a puppymill which was run by an Amish family went up in flames and about 190 dogs burned to death in a barn. The ones that survived were shown in these tiny little off-the-ground rabbit hutch cages and this was winter. The news interviewed this many who was lamenting his family's loss of so much of their livilihood but it became clear afterwards that this guy was running a puppy mill without the permits needed to do it. So that woman's claim that as Christians they would never do this is incorrect. The Amish puppymill man is also a Christian.

My advice...go back to that place and ask them to trace that little dog if you feel strongly about him. It will be a rescue.

Live animals have no place in any kind of petstores. IMHO. :soapbox:

Now THAT was a long post!

~Denise

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I would also try petfinder. I used it to find the rescue shelter Lucky came from. I feel you are rescuing dogs when you purchase them from a pet store. I know you are supporting what they do but at the same time you are saving a puppy. If you truly liked the puppy you saw, you could probably ask where he went. I don't believe what that lady said when you asked about puppy mills. Like anyone would admit it if that's where the puppies came from anyhow! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif

·
Registered
112 Posts
Awww Puppy! poor little puppy if they didn't sell him there he goes someplace else! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

I completely agree, I feel that puppy shop puppies need to be rescued just like shelter ones do, I couldn't understand why my Molly was 4mos old and still no owner? I used to wonder how many places she'd been to - her papers gave all the breeder info I spent hours online looking it up and trying to find out the breeders phone number because my fiance didn't believe the shop owner - he was right I couldn't find any record of her breeder or dad/mom. It is a very tough decision I wish I could take all rescues in, my fiance suprised me with molly, I hadn't known he was looking but if I'd have been in that shop the first time he saw her she would have had a new home that day.

Good Luck - I hope you find the right rescue for your family :heart:

·
Registered
182 Posts
No respectable breeder sells their pups in a pet store. I know there is a rescue group down your way. The only link I could find is http://west.petfinder.com/shelters/CA528.html

There is another group for No. Cal if you don't mind a drive. Their site is http://www.norcalbeagles.com/ and they have a long list of available dogs. We have gotten both our boys from them. I know Boomer is from the Fresno area originally so they pull from all over.

·
Registered
139 Posts
On the bright side... if Ron was going to agree to $1000 for the pup, maybe he'll agree to rescuing two!
:ecstatic:

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by beaglechaser:
No respectable breeder sells their pups in a pet store.
:exactly:

Thanks for putting my long-winded post into the right words. When I'm mad, I tend to drone on.

~Denise

·
Registered
134 Posts
I know..wouldn't you just love to rescue all of them to give them a good forever home...not just a "for christmas" etc. home....too sad what some dogs ( and other animals) have to endure /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

I saw a documentary once I think it was called "7 dogs for 7 days" about a family who took their 7 rescue dogs on a family holiday for a week. They travelled in a van with them and stopped off at all these dog friendly accomodations. The dogs had such a ball and you could really tell they were having such fun :bounce2: :bounce2: :bounce2:
They weren't beagles - mainly other larger type mixed breed dogs. The owners were so devoted to them :happyhappy:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts