Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, I was going to drop a note into the introduction subject first, to introduce myself but thought to kill two birds with one stone and save my typing....I'm Chris and I have 2 crazy 3 year old beagles. Ollie, a laid back boy and Bailey, AKA Princess (As when she walks It looks like she's in high heels) :cool:

Well, over the last 8 months Ollie has started scratching, biting his paws and shaking his head, its not COVID. We visited the vets a few times for numerous meds but nothing has worked. We tried different foods, trying to find out what he dislikes but to no avail. We took the plunge and paid 拢100 for an Allergy Test via Affinity DNA UK - We have the results back and out of 150 plus test items, we have 3 main ones and about 9 others that he's not keen on....The TOP 3 he has a strong intolerance with, are the following

1. Flaxseed / Linseed Oil - Found in most dog foods!!!!
2. Tabacco ;-) he's not a smoker
3. White Rice

The other 9 are classed as mild intolerant.
1.Brewers Rice
2.Chicken
3.Corn
4. Halibut
5. House Fly ???
6. Olive Oil
7. Rice Bran
8. Salmon
9. Sweet Potato.

So, with the results in, we are now trying to pin point the one/s that are causing the problems..
Has anyone else had any problems with the top 3 or the mild 9....also, if anybody has any contacts for bespoke bog food suppliers in the UK, please share......

Well, that's our story and for now. I will try and update on our findings as with run through the list.....
Please feedback and comment...
Take Care, Chris and Jo 馃惗

Super Moderator
Welcome to you and your hounds. Oliver has skin allergies but it is more environmental. He takes Apoquel and it's like a miracle. he had horrible dry skin and dandruff and was chewing open sores. Few weeks on Apoquel and he's back to normal.

Registered
Does your vet have any suggestions for hypoallergenic foods?

Registered
My dog has allergies which are mainly to grasses..i suspect that is what the issue is..not so much the foods which could be so trace in the results that its negligible. My dog scratches and licks her paws..UNTIL she gets an injection of Cytopoint.. i take my dog 2x a year for this medication and I can say its nearly a miracle how the scratching stops almost immediately. My dog has never had any adverse reaction to the medication. It costs about $60. U.S.
Before driving yourself crazy trying to find a food without the ingredients you listed try the Cytopoint..
I speak from 15 years experience as an Allergy Nurse and performed hundreds of allergy tests. Im sure the testing was expensive.

Registered
Just FYI, your vet can give you recipes for homemade dog food that is as i expensive as commercial dog food that won鈥檛 contain any of that stuff. If you have an instantpot, you can make a week鈥檚 worth of food in no time that uses ground beef/turkey, carrots, green beans, spinach, eggs, liver, oatmeal, etc.

Registered
I'm so happy you did that test. I found one similar for my dog when she had allergies. You are on the right track! My dog also showed up as allergic to flaxseed and oils in foods as well as so many other trigger items. I went on different pet sites that sold foods and when you click on the bag you can read the ingredients in foods. It did take a while but I did find a food she can eat. She eats Natures Recipe chicken and sweet potato . She also came back allergic to grasses and she used to eat rabbit poop. In one of my conversations with my Vet she made the connection that rabbits eat grass. I stopped the rabbits from coming in my yard. I really was on a mission to get her better. You might also want to check out Fresh Pet that was another food that was ok for my dog. I just preferred a dry one. I really wish you luck. Hang in there things will get better once you find a food that doesn't have any trigger items.

Registered
Hi Everyone, I was going to drop a note into the introduction subject first, to introduce myself but thought to kill two birds with one stone and save my typing....I'm Chris and I have 2 crazy 3 year old beagles. Ollie, a laid back boy and Bailey, AKA Princess (As when she walks It looks like she's in high heels) :cool:

Well, over the last 8 months Ollie has started scratching, biting his paws and shaking his head, its not COVID. We visited the vets a few times for numerous meds but nothing has worked. We tried different foods, trying to find out what he dislikes but to no avail. We took the plunge and paid 拢100 for an Allergy Test via Affinity DNA UK - We have the results back and out of 150 plus test items, we have 3 main ones and about 9 others that he's not keen on....The TOP 3 he has a strong intolerance with, are the following

1. Flaxseed / Linseed Oil - Found in most dog foods!!!!
2. Tabacco ;-) he's not a smoker
3. White Rice

The other 9 are classed as mild intolerant.
1.Brewers Rice
2.Chicken
3.Corn
4. Halibut
5. House Fly ???
6. Olive Oil
7. Rice Bran
8. Salmon
9. Sweet Potato.

So, with the results in, we are now trying to pin point the one/s that are causing the problems..
Has anyone else had any problems with the top 3 or the mild 9....also, if anybody has any contacts for bespoke bog food suppliers in the UK, please share......

Well, that's our story and for now. I will try and update on our findings as with run through the list.....
Please feedback and comment...
Take Care, Chris and Jo 馃惗

Registered
I'm so happy you did that test. I found one similar for my dog when she had allergies. You are on the right track! My dog also showed up as allergic to flaxseed and oils in foods as well as so many other trigger items. I went on different pet sites that sold foods and when you click on the bag you can read the ingredients in foods. It did take a while but I did find a food she can eat. She eats Natures Recipe chicken and sweet potato . She also came back allergic to grasses and she used to eat rabbit poop. In one of my conversations with my Vet she made the connection that rabbits eat grass. I stopped the rabbits from coming in my yard. I really was on a mission to get her better. You might also want to check out Fresh Pet that was another food that was ok for my dog. I just preferred a dry one. I really wish you luck. Hang in there things will get better once you find a food that doesn't have any trigger items.

Registered

My girl tri color beagle has really bad allergies to chicken, and it's not just the actually chicken it self, it chicken by products, chicken broth, chicken fat, they said read labels it can have aboustley NO chicken of any kind in it ppl don't realise the lots of food that says, lamb, beef etc has chicken ingredients still in it 2,000 dollars later and staying in the hospital for a week that is what we learned, I hope this helps, she was very very sick from it, best of luck to you and your baby

1 - 9 of 9 Posts