Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the last few days here in NY allergies have been pretty bad. That stuff falling from the trees is everywhere. Buddy has been sneezing and reverse sneezing a lot more the last couple of days. His ears are not red, he is not scratching more, and he has no hives or anything like that on him. The vet says he might have a very mild allergy to something but nothing to worry about.

Does anyone elses Beagle sneeze a little more during the beginning of the allergy season? How long does it usually last for?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Mine does. He is reverse sneezing a bit more than usual, as well as scratching and obsessively licking his paws.

His ears are not red and his eyes seem okay though.

Some of the symptoms come and go throughout the summer. He licks his paws all the time though.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I noticed it sometime back when it started to get warmer here for us. He was doing alot of reverse sneezing and paw licks. Not so much now though.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Jersey went through that a few weeks ago. She was reverse sneezing, got an ear infection and licking at her paws. I gave her a Benedryl on her bad days. That helped a lot.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Molly is having an awful time. She gets so itchy just being outside to pee. I hate to give her benadryl everyday so I need to research other options. She has cherry eye and its really acting up and her eyes are running - plus the reverse sneezing. I use a gentle shampoo with natural anti-itch in it but that only lasts a short time.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Cheryl -- you may not be giving the Benedryl to Molly frequently enough to be effective. Since it sounds like she is having a systemic allergic reaction, I would definitely recommend that you consult with your vet. Itching/scratching can become habitual and can really make a pup miserable.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Totti had a bit of an allergy attack last week. He woke up having trouble breathing and next thing you know he was spitting up really thick mucus. It was right after we had like a week straight of rain here in Philly. He's also been sneezing- both reverse and regular (and I should add always right in my face!) a lot. Our vet diagnosed him with mild allergies from a pup and told us it was nothing to worry about. He goes for his annual checkup the 29th so I'll just bring that up and see if he recommends any kind of treatment.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I don't notice Maggie having any problems, but I have a cat that always gets watery eyes this time of year.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Originally Posted By: judymaggieCheryl -- you may not be giving the Benedryl to Molly frequently enough to be effective. Since it sounds like she is having a systemic allergic reaction, I would definitely recommend that you consult with your vet. Itching/scratching can become habitual and can really make a pup miserable.
I was giving it to her daily but have stopped, just don't like to do that everyday. I do need to call the vet. Molly is better after the big rain storms. My first beagle was always itchy, especially his tootsies.

·
Registered
350 Posts
just a thought....
in humans much (like over half) allergy relief is achieved through diet. that is if people actually go in and speak to a health professinal vs buying otc meds.
Now im a hipocrite, i take loratadine EVERY day.
it is found that almost all of us have a 'low grade' allergy to some specific food group, that keeps our allergies alert then when spring comes, it doesnt take much to go over the top.

now in humans the main foods that statistically trigger allergies are things like corn, soy, gluten. They may not cause antifilactic shock as say, shellfish or peanuts do but nonetheless, they drain your bodys immune system.
i really havent checked but if those are bulk fillers in your dogs food, maybe....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts