Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering out there how many of you have beagles with allergies.
Chief, our 9 year old is allergic to pollen of all things. He itches, and would scratch himself raw, gets huge hives and his ears and lips swell all up (if untreated)
We have learned to recognize the itching signs and skin redness early on so he goes in for a shot of steroids and then takes those orally along with benadryl for several weeks every fall until it freezes outside.
He is also hypothyroid. Several years ago I developed Graves disease and went through radiation. For three days, my family had to stay away so that the radiation would not affect their thyroid glands....we didn't think about Chief however and not long after he started gaining weight. With no change in his normal actvity or food he went from 35 to 59 pounds. (He is a tall 15") The vet did testing and found out his thyroid was non functioning so he and I take synthroid together every morning. He quickly went back to his normal weight (wish I could say the same for me lol)
We are pretty sure my radiation did his thyroid in as well.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Wow that is good information to know. Hopefully no one in my household will need radiation, but just in case it is good to be aware that can happen.

As for allergies, my purebred Beagles do not seem to have allergy problems, but my Beagle/Lab mix sure does. We discovered a severe allergic reaction to a bee sting within minutes of him getting stung. His face swelled up like a soccer ball. It was so sad. I had taken some pictures of it once we returned from the vet, so the swelling had decreased quite a bit already, but I put it in his scrapbook with a quote strip that says "We had to get rid of the children, the dog was allergic!" It is so cute.

Sam has some allergies to pollens also, but we don't know for sure exactly what he is allergic too. The vet tells me we could do allergy shots for him, but with the symptoms being seasonal and not too severe, we just dose him up on Benadryl if he starts getting too bad. If he ever gets worse the shots may be a good idea.

Good luck to you.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Current Beagle resident, Vinny is allergic to grass of all things. He takes Temeril once a day and is fine.

However, if we skip a day or two, he turns into a miserable thing. So we make sure we don't skip a dose.

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
Spencer has a mixture of seasonal allergies as well as being allergic to wheat, corn, gluten and chicken based kibble (he can eat real chicken or dehyrated chicken strips).

If Spencer's allergies are bothering him, I will see excessive scratching along with ear infections. It is at a point where my vet just renew's his ear drops without me bringing him in to see him.

Sydney is not allergic to anything.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Jersey gets allergies in the spring and fall. She'll start sneezing as soon as we go outside and she starts sniffing the grass. It stops shortly after returning back inside. Benedryl usually works great for her. If they get too bad, I have a prescription strength Chlortrimeton from the vet.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Oh yes, Charlie developed a whooping cough, hacking very loud for 2 weeks! At first I thought he swallowed a foreign object, to found out vet said it was allergy. It is kind of funny, I think he scared himself with the cough too, in the way he wanted me to love, hug him, "I'm suffering mom" that kind of thing. The deep deep cough and siliva flying out when he cough. The two side cheeks huff puff each time. :biglaugh: /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Registered
96 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Spencer's Mum:
Spencer has a mixture of seasonal allergies as well as being allergic to wheat, corn, gluten and chicken based kibble (he can eat real chicken or dehyrated chicken strips).
How did you manage to narrow down so many allergies? I have a suspicion that my pup is allergic to beef but we have never confirmed it. She itched quite a bit when we first got her, we regulated her diet to strictly high-grade chicken, venison, and fish foods and the itching has gone down, so we left it at that and assumed that whatever nasty meat was in the food she ate was causing it. I would like to know for sure, though, so we can more proactively keep her from allergic reactions.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Boo has allergys and is on and off Prednisone...She also is on synthroid (Hypothyroid)...Some days she is ok and then she pops up with a rash all over her stomach...She drags her self across the rug and scratches....It is soooo sad....I give her Prednisone about every 4 days.....or I play it by ear......I hate giving it to her.....I just cant wait for Winter ....She does well in Winter

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Popcorn has started having extended periods of scratching at her mouth... to me it almost looks like her gums are itchy. Do you think that could be allergies too, or is the scratching more usually somewhere that is fur-covered than the mouth? We have a vet visit upcoming and will definitely ask then, but just wondering if anyone else has a beagle with what appears to be itchy gums!

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by jeffmeden:
Quote:Originally posted by Spencer's Mum:
How did you manage to narrow down so many allergies? I have a suspicion that my pup is allergic to beef but we have never confirmed it. She itched quite a bit when we first got her, we regulated her diet to strictly high-grade chicken, venison, and fish foods and the itching has gone down, so we left it at that and assumed that whatever nasty meat was in the food she ate was causing it. I would like to know for sure, though, so we can more proactively keep her from allergic reactions.
Well for me, it took about 2 years to figure it all out actually. We had tried him on many different food, trying ot make sure that the ingredients were always different. We gave each one 4 months so we could see the full effect.

I went from Merrick (itching right away) to Wellness Simple Solutions Venison (caused too much gas) to Solid Gold Barking at The Moon (they actually walked away from this one, they hated it)to DVP Natural Balance Duck (ok but then I heard bad things about the company and they were on the recall list so that was a big No) then Fromm 4 Star Duck. The Fromm was the first one that he did well on. They have 4 flavours, Duck, Salmon, Whitefish & Chicken so every few bags I would rotate the kinds. This is how I figured out the chicken allergy because they were fine on all 3 brands and as soon as we went to the chicken one, the ears gooped up within a couple days and the scratching was horrible. We stuck to the fromm for 6 months to a year then Orijen came out. I tried the Adult formula hoping that I had been wrong about my chicken assumption but after only 2 days on it, the black gunk was back in the ears.

We had to wait a few months for the Orijen 6 Fresh Fish formula to come out and he has been on that for about 2 months now and still loves it. He is shinier than ever. My only concern was that he had lost weight after switching him over so I just increased his portions and it seems to be helping to keep him at a steady weight of 26lbs.

There is a huge list of what I have tried. I have finally found a couple brands that are working so I am sticking with them. I have never seen my dogs so excited about a food for this long. They still devour their whole bowl in about 20 seconds and it has been over 2 months. I am impressed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts