Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I am now the owner of two beagles (7 months and 10 weeks) so as you can imagine, there is alot of hair flying around.
What we have just learnt is that my brother is actually allergic to dogs. It showed abit when we bought Milo but that was only when my brother would play with him, he'd get small rash spots where the dog would touch. But now since we have got Bindi, the allergies are getting alot worse, such as causing him difficulties with breathing.

I'd like to ask what measures could I put in place to reduce the allergies? I have started brushing them every day to reduce the amount of hair flying around. Any more suggestions would be appreciated.

I'd hate to have to give up the dogs for this so want to try everything possible first.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Do you have an air purifier in the house? I don't know if that will make a huge difference but it can't hurt.

I hope you don't have to give them up, good luck!

·
Registered
889 Posts
A friend of mine was very allergic to cats. She actually started getting allergy shots and has been fine ever since. I'm not sure if that's an option for your brother?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
both good suggestions. Any more would be appreciated as i love my dogs and really want this to work out.

i just looked at air purifyers and can get some cheaps ones to try so will consider that...

please tell me more about the shots. how often do you need to take them?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Believe it or not, what you feed your beagle can make a difference too. A family member's vet suggested to them to try different foods for their pets and it worked! Higher quality foods usually result in healthier coats. It is usually the pet's dander or saliva that people are allergic too. The only way to change either of those is food.

More frequent bathing of the dog can help too. We found out shortly after getting Winston that our daughter was allergic, but her symptoms were almost non-existant for a few days following his bath.

If the allergy is severe, however, as a nurse, I would also reccomend allergy shots. Shots are for desensitization, so he would probably need them weekly for one to three months then bi-weekly, then monthly for maintenance. Monthly shots may continue the rest of his life, or can be discontinued if the allergy is fully desensitized. That will depend on the severity of his allergy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts