Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ugh... allergies. I feel like I'm making no progress on figuring out what Squeegee is allergic to. This all started with multiple yeast infections in his ears. My vet said not to worry about the cause and just keep medicating it. I know a vet through my work who said that it was likely a food allergy and to try switching him to something with no wheat, corn, chicken or beef as those are the top 4 allergens for dogs. I switched him to a lamb and rice formula which is wheat/corn free. It is what was recommended to me by the owner of the company as a good option for dogs with food allergies.

Since then his yeast infections have cleared up but he still scratches his ears all of the time. I check them regularly and use a yeast reducing flush about 1x/week. There's never any buildup but he's always fussing with them. He also rubs his face against the floor all of the time and does an army crawl (which is very silly looking, haha) I assume to scratch his belly. He has also been sneezing, reverse sneezing and doing a cough/gag thing constantly. Lastly, he has clear toenails and they have red/purplish marks that look like bruises in them which the vet told my husband can be indicative of allergies. The vet also told my husband that the lamb and rice formula is not a truly hypo-allergenic food and suggested trying some kind that they sell in the office but I've heard that a lot of dogs don't like it. If I knew that his allergies were strictly from food I would switch him to the new food but it really seems like his symptoms indicate more of an environmental allergy problem. He is currently taking doggy anti-histamines and I really haven't seen too much improvement.

I guess my question is: does this sound like food or environmental allergies? any suggestions for anything else I could do?

Sorry for the long post!!

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
well if the food cleared up the yeast infections i'd give the food an extended amount of time to see if clears it up completely. he might just have minor discomfort now compared to before. wait and see if over a month the food doesn't completely fix the problem. if it doesn't i'd start changing house cleaners by process of elimination u know like stop using lysol for two weeks and if that doesn't work u can go back to using it but switch out another cleaner/perfume/spray/lotion etc.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
That all sounds a lot like Popcorn's symptoms which got progressively worse over a period of some time. We did go the ultra-no-allergen dog food route (Prescription Diet Z/D) and she improved tremendously - almost right away (although we were told it could take a month or more before we saw marked improvement). Our vet suggested trying the food first before testing for environmental causes because the solution (change the food) is so much easier than treating environmental allergies - so try the easiest solution first. Luckily for us that worked and we didn't have to investigate further. We also haven't found any problem with Popcorn not liking the food - she is a beagle after all!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts