Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Squeegee has had chronic yeast infections in his ears since we got him 3 months ago. We have tried multiple medications and paid for many visits to the vet, the infections seem to improve but always return. I asked a vet that I know about it and she said that if they are scratching their ears, rubbing their face with their paws and on the ground a lot and licking/scooting their butts then it could be a food allergy. I thought this was really interesting and wanted to see if any of you guys have experienced it. She recommended a local company that makes their own wheat/corn free dog foods with all natural, human grade ingredients. They deliver it to your door at no charge and it's less expensive than the Iams we had been feeding him! I just ordered it today and am really excited!! The website is www.feedyourpets.com. Just wanted to let you guys know about the service and see if any of you have any advice on the topic. Thanks!

·
Registered
181 Posts
We switched Ben to a raw diet b/c of allergies.
Last summer he was chewing his paws obsessively, his eyes were weepy, and he was doing alot of butt scootching. The only thing our vet did was prescribe some allergy pills. Not good enough in my opinion.

I did some research and swichted Ben cold turkey from the Kirkland food we were feeding a raw diet. It is all human grade food with no grains or corn.

It has been sucessful. It is more expensive than the kibble but worth it.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Popcorn started obsessively scratching at her face with her paws over a year ago. It got progressively worse and by this past summer she had bleeding gums and was starting to lose the fur around one eye.

The vet prescribed a three step process. Step one was to try her out on drugs to see if it knocked it away for good. I can't remember what it was called (something with Prednisone in it). The drug seemed to help a lot at first but as we weaned her off of it the scratching came right back (and she was peeing EVERYWHERE while on the drug).

Step two was then to try an ultra low allergen dog food (Prescription Diet Z/D) to see if the allergy was food based. That worked. Within days the scratching was gone and hasn't come back for over three months. After the initial period of absolutely nothing else (treats were just part of the kibble), we have slowly introduced some corn/wheat free treats which have not caused any problems so far. I'm sure there are other foods we could use instead, but for now we are keeping with what is working - although in order for Popcorn not to gain weight she is having to eat a miniscule amount of the food and even so is not losing any... that is unfortunate.

Step three, if step two hadn't worked, was to try to figure out what else the allergy might be caused by - as if it wasn't food based it must be environmental. But we didn't have to go there, thankfully.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Java had pooping problems as well as chronic yeast infection in the ear too. I switched him to Nature's Variety Instinct (grain free) and he's been great ever since.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Winston has had a rash and scratched for soooo long. The vet started him on a skin and coat formula but after reading the ingredients I might as well have fed him wet kleenex. The vet did mention though, when looking for a food, look for an unusual protien such as deer, duck or rabbit. You may never identify the exact allergen, but the healthier the skin and coat, the less reaction he may have.
I switched Winston to Orijen puppy and keep all wheat/grain products out of his diet. I also look for treats that are high in Omega 3's and 6's. These are excellent for skin and coat.
Fish based are excellent choices. When I switch him off the puppy formula, I am looking at the Orijen fish formula. I also found a fish oil additive at the pet store that I add to his kibble once a day. Since I started that, the itching has been markedly decreased. He still scratches some (don't all dogs) but he's not woken up by it so much anymore.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Change of diet is what we have recently done to help Daisy's yeast infected ears. However, instead of feeding a corn free dog food (which are hard to get here especially with orijen recently being recalled) we switched to BARF (a raw meat and vegie diet). So far so good, I am very happy with the results and all the dogs are doing much better on it!

Our BARF recipe (as well as feeding raw meaty bones) includes pumpkin, apple, carrot, celery, yoghurt and 4 tins of sardines as well as human grade beef mince.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts