Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We purchased Bella from a dealer who we now believe may not be all that reputable. We were given papers stating she was pedigree, but to be honest...it could be rubbish! Sometimes i look at Bella and i think 'yeah, she is all Beagle' and other times i'm not so convinced. She is very lean, tall and lanky, her snout is fairly thin and she is all legs.

There are some pictures below....guys, let me know what you think. Is Bella 100% Beagle or is there a mix? My partner says 'All Beagle'....I say 'Mix'!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I say she is all Beagle.

As a breeder myself I have a perfect example of what can happen. There is NO WAY that another dog got to our female and I witnessed 14 ties between her and our male at the time during her heat cycle. She is a 14 inch Beagle he was a 15 inch Beagle. One of their puppies was purchased by our neighbor girl (14 years old). The puppy is now a little over one year. He is about 16-17 inches tall. ALL legs and thin as a rail. Both mom and dad Beagles were very sturdy (but not overweight). I have no idea how Drake (the puppy) could have turned out so tall. Just like yours, the coloring totally looks Beagle, but he doesn't look like a full blooded Beagle to me either because of his height. I KNOW for a fact that he is. All Beagles are different. Even two 13 inch Beagles can produce taller (15 inch) Beagle pups. As for Drake, I still believe he will fill out in time, but his legs won't shorten so he may be a tall, sturdy Beagle some day.

She's beautiful and is probably the love of your life regardless so don't worry so much about her pedigree. I imagine she is just a tall Beagle.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I think she's Beagle all the way!
My Chloe is very lean and relatively to her 13 height, she is all legs too. She is 100% Beagle, UKC registered. I saw her parents, full Beagles, too.
Beagles come in many different shapes, and sizes - but somehow we know to recognize them all as Beagles. Part of their charm, I say

Bella is gorgeous!!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Bella is adorable!

As much as breeding tries to produce consistent results, genetics can still be a game of chance.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Looks like 100% ALL AMERICAN BEAGLE to me too. Our boy is a tad over 18 although we got him through the county humane society. The previous owners supposedly paid 2 grand for him and he was bred down in the south (we are in Washington state, 2000 miles away..). He has long legs just like your Bella. I wish he was as skinny though ;-) I'm very familiar with big beagles since we have one AND there are several close contenders at our local dog park, two or three of them that must be about 17 and just as long legged. Together with your Bella we just about have a Beagle Basketball team!

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
She is very pretty and has beautiful coloring. Just enjoy her and don't worry about if she is all Beagle or not. She certainly looks 100% to me though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just measured her up. At 5 and a half months old she measures 15 and a half inches from paw to top of shoulder. At what age do Beagles stop growing?!!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
She looks all Beagle to me. Beagles come in all shapes, sizes and colors. Go to any Beagle meet up event and you'll see just how varied the breed is. There are show lines and hunting lines, American lines and European lines...all produce dogs that look slightly different yet are all Beagles. Either way, Bella is a beautiful girl. She reminds me a lot of my Jersey girl. Jersey is a tall girl too and up until this last year, was relatively lean (she's getting to be a little chunky).

·
Registered
991 Posts
I agree with everyone else. She is a Beagle! My Shasta, who is the only dog I have ever owned where I knew her birthday, is also a very long-legged lass. She does not just jump up on the sofa, she just walks over to it, puts one front paw up, then the other and then walks up, one rear leg at a time!. BH called her our industrial size Beagle when we adopted her. She actually came with registration papers, another first for us! I measured her tail length one time and it is exactly one foot long. I think your Bella is beautiful and I love her pink collar. Very sweet.

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Originally Posted By: BoulderBeagles I think your Bella is beautiful and I love her pink collar. Very sweet.
Yes, that pink collar is a must have...I'm totally into dog collars, LOL!
Do you mind if I ask you where you got it? I purchased a similar looking pink faux burberry collar at Agatha & Louise, but your's is so much nicer!

Agatha & Louise

·
Registered
94 Posts
Looks partially mixed but Ive never owned a pure bred beagle haha so I have no clue.

Cute either way!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally Posted By: Li'l Maggie Yes, that pink collar is a must have...I'm totally into dog collars, LOL!
Do you mind if I ask you where you got it? I purchased a similar looking pink faux burberry collar at Agatha & Louise, but your's is so much nicer!
I hate that collar and i was the one who bought it! Its too big for her. You can see in the pictures that i have to loop it back into the clasp otherwise she just chews on it! LOL! I got it from a pet store over here in the UK called 'Pets At Home'

Thanks for the opinions everyone.......It appears to be unanimous!.....Bella is all Beagle!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ahhh whoops, I'm the guy that said looks 100% ALL AMERICAN BEAGLE.... I just saw where you are from. So I humbly ammend my response to Looks like 100% BRIT BEAGLE TO ME!! Sorry for any unintended snub. My apologies. She sure looks like pure Beagle to me. We were not sure about our big boy (the 18 incher) and one time we went to a dog show that toured through our city. I went specifically to see the Beagles, as well as the Harriers and Foxhounds. Our boy Tinker is about Harrier sized but I was thinking he was a small Foxhound. Nope, after looking (and meeting and petting) all of the Harriers and Foxhounds, he is obviously pure Beagle. And your Bella is about similarly proportioned as our Tinker. Length of legs, length of snout, shorter ears that seem to stick out from the noggin' further than normal, the hindquarters, curvature of chest, and the width of the front shoulders. I'm thinking there must be some regressive (right choice of scientific vocabulary?) gene that turned itself on and our two beags came out part Foxhound (assuming the lineage of Beagles and that they come from Foxhounds/other hounds)?? Or if both our dogs have some hyper pituitary glands (I think that's the part of the brain that governs the bodies growth?). Either way, I love my Tinker just as much. I value both my hounds for their loyalty, companionship, and friendship. Although I could do a bit less with the constant drooling everytime I walk near the kitchen...

·
Registered
1 Posts
We purchased Bella from a dealer who we now believe may not be all that reputable. We were given papers stating she was pedigree, but to be honest...it could be rubbish! Sometimes i look at Bella and i think 'yeah, she is all Beagle' and other times i'm not so convinced. She is very lean, tall and lanky, her snout is fairly thin and she is all legs.

There are some pictures below....guys, let me know what you think. Is Bella 100% Beagle or is there a mix? My partner says 'All Beagle'....I say 'Mix'!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts