Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't been on here in awhile, been SWAMPED with work. Anyways I have a question about an issue that I haven't been able to resolve with my pup.

So the pup is fairly well potty trained. She holds her pee and heads to the back door anytime she needs to go. She will then make no sound and wait there a minute or two before going on the floor if I don't take her out.

How can I get her to alert me other then just heading to the back door when she needs to pee? I tried having her bark before I take her out but after 2-3 weeks of that she was never able to pick it up. I thought about using the bell but theres no real place to put one near the back door and I travel alot with her and would like another way to be alerted for when we are at friends houses, etc.

What have you guys done to solve this issue? I cant keep my eye on here 24/7 to see when she needs to pee. I need her to alert me in some fashion. Thanks all!!!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
All doors have door knobs. We just hung a parrot toy with the large bell at the bottom from the door handle. We had a sliding door so it wasn't exactly a knob, but we made a wire hanger so that it could easily be removed and taken with us where ever we went.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally Posted By: beagletailsAll doors have door knobs. We just hung a parrot toy with the large bell at the bottom from the door handle. We had a sliding door so it wasn't exactly a knob, but we made a wire hanger so that it could easily be removed and taken with us where ever we went.
TRUE haha I could make one that is removable for trips. So did you just have your pup paw at it to learn that?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I also use a bell with Buddy. He rings it almots 100% of the time he has to go out even if i am standing right next to him.

He use to just go to the door and sit there also. So what i did was everytime he did that i would say out and take his paw and hit the bell with his paw. I did this everytime he had to go out. He picked it up in about 1 month.

·
Registered
847 Posts
We have a bell which Bodie uses sometimes. Otherwise he just sits by the door and if no one sees him he'll bark a few times. He also does the same thing when he wants to come in.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Snoopy thumps the door or anything near it- everything is scratched but we know when he wants to go out! Susi stands there. Neither have learnt to ask to come in again we just keep checking. In summer we keep the doors open so they come and go as they please.

·
Registered
103 Posts
If they have to go REALLY bad, they both will scratch the door. If Charlie has to poo really bad, we will stand up and put his paws on the window sill (don't know why, he has always done this) then go scratch at the sliding glass door. They still go out every 2-3 hours when we are home during the week and on the weekends, they could spend the whole day outside with us.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Is there anything you can place on the floor right at that door that would make a noise when she stands at the door? I don't know what it could be though?

Ours scratch at the door to go out. Maybe a bell on a long rope hanging from the door knob? And she might rustle it when she sits at the door.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts