Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!! After a very long time from BW, I am back with more Alaska news to share!!! I have Natalie and Heidi, whom I adopted from Fairbanks Alaska when I got here. Now, THELMA & LOUISE are coming home to me here in Alaska! I am so excited. Some of you may recall, Thelma and Louise are from Alabama and stayed behind when I moved to AK last year. Well, now they are coming! I will have 4 beags. OMG! Anyone who has mult. beags, I would enjoy any advice you have to give! Can't wait to get back into the pack here. Thelma Lou in Anchorage

Also, any advice on how to get them here!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Your news deserves two!! It is great to hear from you and I know how thrilled you are to have Thelma and Louise joining your gang. I can't help you with advice about multi-beagle households or travel guidance but Maggie and I send lots of
your way!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
so good to hear from you! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/toofunny.gif How exciting that you're going to be reunited with Thelma & Louise! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whistle.gif Sorry I can't offer any advice about getting the girls to Alaska.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
It's good to see you back. I have only one beagle so I am no help there. I know how happy you must be to get your family back together.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Welcome back! I'm Glenda and am currently owned by the beagle "tenpack", consisting of Princess, 7, Romeo and Chloe, 6, JoJo, 4, Tanna and Lottie, 5, Joe and Jack, 2, Bella almost 2, and the baby, Angel, 11 months.
It's a "beagle zoo" at my house. Especially at feeding time! If you have any specific questions about "multiples", feel free to ask! Can't wait for pictures!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome back. How to get from AL to AK? Flying is the most direct, but without someone with them, that would concern me. The other is driving, but that is one hell of a long haul.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Travel advice?? Unless you can get a "more or less direct flight", I would be concerned about flying them. Several years ago when I had a serious illness, I had to re-home 3 of my beagles, it's difficult to find good flights from Spokane WA - which is the nearest "real" airport to us. I chose the 3 youngest "kids" at the time, thinking that the trip and "rehoming" would be easier on them than on the older kids, but I'm not really sure that is true. They all went to friends - people who loved beagles, but I'd never do that again. I've had several dogs shipped to me - and they really do pretty well - it may be harder on ME than it is on the dogs. Most airlines are really pretty good to the dogs - but I refuse to use Delta - because of their "policy" on not confirming that your dog can get on until the last minute. I think NW has the best policy - it's a little more expensive, but I thought it was worth it. Alaska Airlines is good, but not sure what their "area" covers. Here are a couple of links that may (or may not) help you.

http://www.thepoop.com/pooppourri/airtravel.asp

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/air-travel-tips-take-dog-anywhere.html

Most airlines that allow pets to travel or be shipped have information on their websites.

Good luck!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I am so happy to hear that you're going to be reunited with the girls! You must be so excited. I don't have any advice on a good way to get them to you. I worry about flying pets as cargo, especially if they'll be alone. I remember that Amanda (Pegasus) used a pet transporter to get Snoopy out to California when she moved. Maybe you could look into something like that? I don't know what the cost factor would be or your budget for getting them there. Would it be possible for you to fly back to Alabama and drive back with the girls? That's a long drive, but maybe you could make it a nice trip to see the country? Whatever you choose, I'm just very happy to hear that you'll be back with Thelma & Louise!

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Hi...it is good to hear from you and read your news. I remember Thelma and Louise (the car accident and those moments they were missing/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/photo.gif)!

I have recently found out that there are dog transports going on all of the time. I drove one leg for one recently and am signed up to drive another leg this weekend. I think Yahoo has a dog transport list. I could set you up with the lady who coordinated the transport that I drove for and maybe she can point you in the right direction. Let me know.

Maybe an option would be to have them driven as far as possible towards you. These transports are timed down to the hour so barring unforseen weather, you could make arrangements to meet them and travel the rest of the way with them.

Worse case scenario...fly to Alabama and fly back with them.

Good luck with this.

~Denise

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
they're heeeeere! they arrived sun. on alaska airlines. will tell all details later, as i broke my r. arm 2 weeks ago and am one amed and handed. the dom arm has very nasty break. beaglebabe, would love any advice on feeding and treat times.looks like you would have great advice with 10 babies! oh my! as you could imagine,doing this as a one armed pack leader has many challeges!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
So happy that Thelma and Louise are back with ya but sad to hear of your broken arm. Can't wait to hear all about the reunion, the introduction of the Alaska and Alabama furkids, and some good news on your healing but will be patient until your not one handed then we'll nag for pictures. Heal fast and enjoy your pack.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Sorry about your arm, but I'm sure that having Thelma and Louise make the pain go away a bit... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sick.gif

btw - I think you referred to beaglesmom who has 10 babies.... not BeagleBaba (aka Jamie).

Feel better soon /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Sorry about your arm! Bravo for being able to type that well one handed.

Are Thelma and Louise the ones who have come up to Alaska? I thought you adopted some new babies.

Just nod.... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif or /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sleep.gif

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

~Denise

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Glad Thelma and Louise made it safely. Now, you really have a handful. Someone stop me, I've punned again! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hi5.gif Seriously, I hope your arm heals quickly, and it's so great that you have all your beagle babies with you. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I'm so glad to hear the news that Thelma and Louise have arrived safe and sound with you! I'm sure the four are busy getting to know each other (and there may well be some ups and downs while that happens). I'm sorry to hear about your arm, though - I can't imagine handling our three with only one arm, so the thought of you with four boggles (beagles?) the mind!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
On an off note, I just discovered that my brother has taken a new position with his company in Anchorage and is possibly looking to move to Eagle River. I am sure he will enjoy it and he is a snowboarding champion. I know he would love to have a beagle or just any dog but not only does his wife has allergies but she says dogs are messy...hey so are kids!! Now I know who I can ask any Alaska questions of!!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Yeah! I am so happy to hear that your girls are back with you. Four beags and a broken arm...I'm so sorry! That's got to be a bit of a challenge. I hope they are all getting along OK. You've got to get some pictures so we can see all the girls together.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts