Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This week, the AKC released their list of the 10 most popular breeds in the US for 2007. Of course the Beagle was on the list. One thing I found very interesting was that the Beagle is the only breed to be on the list every year since 1915.

Here is the complete list.

2007 Most Popular Dogs in the U.S.

1. Labrador Retriever
2. Yorkshire Terrier
3. German Shepherd Dog
4. Golden Retriever
5. Beagle
6. Boxer
7. Dachshund
8. Poodle
9. Shih Tzu
10. Bulldog

And here's the link to the article.

2007 Most Popular Dog Breeds

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Thanks for the new list Jen - and way to go beagles again! I find it interesting (and do every year) that the beagle is so high up because around here, at least, there just aren't that many of 'em... except in our apartment, of course! But then of course this isn't the US, either - and I know beagles are much more plentiful in the southern US anyway.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Beagles have certainly been my most popular dog breed for the past 35 years. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
It is interesting to look at the variation in lists between cities. Maggie and I rarely meet another beagle where we live.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I live in eastern WA and there aren't many beagles around here, either. Most common in this area are Labs and Border Collies. I'm always sad to see that, while beagles are real crowd pleasers at Westminster, they rarely win in the hound class, and I doubt if one has EVER won best of show. :angryfire: Guess they're popular with everyone except JUDGES??

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by beaglesmom:
I'm always sad to see that, while beagles are real crowd pleasers at Westminster, they rarely win in the hound class, and I doubt if one has EVER won best of show. :angryfire: Guess they're popular with everyone except JUDGES??
I've definitely noticed and been angry about that too! It seems like the "frufru" dogs that need a lot of primping and preening seem to always do better than the beautiful but definitely more wash-n-wear beagles and other similar hounds like harriers and foxhounds.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I found where you can look up the most popular breeds by 50 major cities.
http://www.akc.org/reg/topdogsbycity.cfm

It's funny to see that beagles are #16 in the Dallas area, where I live. I almost always see (and meet the owners of) 2-3 other beagles when Spock and I go to the dog park in nearby Plano. Maybe I would notice the other breeds more if I were paying more attention to them than my little man, though.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They didn't even make it to the top 10 in NYC.... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif We actually have 5 beagles here in our neighborhood alone.... strange!!! I guess the little toy pooches are more popular in the city :conf6:

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I think the "designer" breeds are kind of taking over, too, in larger cities. I've seen a number of puggles and boggles and other mixes with ridiculous names.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A new puppy is a wonderful addition to your family. They bring so much joy and happiness, and they are good for you! Pets help to lower our blood pressure, through touch, activity and unconditional love. A Shih-Tzu puppy is one of the cutest, hardiest of the small breeds, and they are easy to take care of, as long as you know how the shih tzu care ahead of time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts