Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long should it take to hear back from the breeder on AKC registration. The lady that we got Daisy from said she would take care of the front end of it, but I haven't heard anything from her or gotten anything in the mail. I don't plan on showing her or anything, but I was just wondering.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
We received Duke's AKC registration papers from the breeder when we picked him up, but we have to send them in ourselves, which we still haven't done. Now that he's almost a year old and we get penalized after May, I guess I should get on that soon.LOL

Speaking of registration, there are a few upgraded registration packages that offer generational pedigrees and dvds and other benefits, have any of you bought the upgraded packages and if so, was it worth it?

·
Registered
271 Posts
I got Peanut's registration papers when I picked her up. I have never had to AKC register. I was surprised to read that there is a penalty if registration is not completed in a year. What kind of penalty? I still have plenty of time, as she is only 10 weeks, but I am curious.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Chloe is UKC registered. I got the application certificate when I got Chloe. I had to mail it to the UKC club and got the papers within a month in the mail. Good looking papers too, with gold and everything!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I register my litters with AKC as soon as I know they're all right - AKC sends me an application certificate for <u>each puppy in the litter</u>, and that is given to the buyers - it's up to the buyers to send in the application for the package they want. The "penalty" for "late registration" is pretty high, if I remember correctly it about doubles the cost for registering your dog. For the pups I keep, I usually just get the 3 generation pedigree - since I already have the 5 generation research pedigrees for my "parents". The 5 generation pedigree isn't as "fancy" - but it has a lot more information on it if you need that sort of thing - I just get that for the dogs I breed. The AKC registration certificate usually arrives within a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Just like beaglesmom, I have my litters registered within the first week after birth. I had my papers to hand out with each pup within the first 3 weeks so I could show the potential new owners exactly what they would have to complete etc... when they came to see the litter. I much prefer to get things done right away rather than procrastinating.

Now on the flip side we used our stud for someone that had a litter at the end of October and they have yet to register their litter. I have been upset by it because I received a pick of the litter pup from him and I helped him sell his other puppies so now it makes me look bad that everyone still has to wait to get the paperwork and they have had their pups for quite some time. I will never do a "pick of the litter" contract again nor will I help anyone else sell their puppies in the future. I thought I was doing him a favor, but he obviously could care less about these people that purchased the pups from him.

I have purchased the upgraded packages from the AKC and have enjoyed the magazine subscriptions, the dog.com e-certificates, etc... I probably won't do it on future dogs, but with my two that I breed I wanted to have the very best.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I quite agree about getting the paperwork taken care of ASAP. I just found out that my Lottie is distantly related to Uno - they share a "grandfather". Do you think she'll still let me sleep with her?? Maybe I just shouldn't TELL her /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whistle.gif!!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Breeders are required to supply the papers at the time of sale. Now, some do register the pup so they can ensure their kennel name is recognized should the dog be used for showing/breeding, etc. BUT even so, you should STILL have the papers in your hand @ time of sale!!!

I send out all applications for registration when the litter is a week or so old, and if for some reason I do not have the applications by the time pup is picked up (which happened once - my fault, entirely) I notified the customer & she opted to pick up the pup & just wait for the papers, which arrived 2 days later, lol. I gave her the option to wait until I had his registration papers in my hand.

It's very irresponsible to send for the papers after the litter is already sold. In fact, AKC requires it's breeders to have the papers at time of sale if you were promised AKC reg. Personally, I would speak to the breeder about this - you want papers NOW - and if they do not comply, I'd be making a phone call to AKC to notify them. They take this sort of thing very seriously. You are entitled to her papers!

·
Registered
134 Posts
We finally got Kioko's pedigree, and we have to register her with the JKC. I have no idea how to do that. If we don't register her with the Japanese Kennel Club, we won't be able to register her with the AKC when we get home.

Not a huge deal...we're not going to show her, but still.

·
Registered
134 Posts
hee hee...it's all in Japanese Kanji, and though I can speak a little basic stuff...I can't read it. There are people here I can talk to though that might know

1 - 12 of 12 Posts