Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
He's so cute!! Looks like a real rabbit-killer! LOL

I know what you mean about the rabbits making him lose it. My neighborhood is INFESTED with rabbits. At anytime you can be sure to find at least 2 or 3 when you walk outside our house. Sometimes we'll even see them on our porch! Poor Tucker... he paces between windows and is on "the lookout" for them all the time. And when we go out for a bathroom break... sigh... sometimes it's chaos. He literally cannot think of anything else, and we've never once hunted with him.

Let us know if Charlie ever gets one.... and what he does when he gets one. I always wonder what my dog would actually do if he got one.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I SOO want to just let him go once, it would be OK if there weren't fences and other barriers to deal with in town. He is learning to let them go (no not really) when they squeeze under a fence or hide in a really tight spot. He had a little one cornered under a bush on tonight's walk and it was like he was frozen and "pointing" at it, I dunno, do they do that? Man his howl is deafening when he's right behind one at full speed, now that's entertainment!

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
lol love the picture

·
Registered
168 Posts
Bahaha! That beagle looks like Trigger howling, except they are different color patterns. Adorable.

Man, I hope he catches one! Trigger ALMOST caught a squirrel a couple times... but they always get away. How dare they chatter at him, laughing! One day he will get revenge.

And I'm sure that yours will get revenge for all them rabbit running and hiding, and grab one up!!! :D

·
Super Moderator
5,375 Posts
Very cute picture! Vazzy is obsessed with bunnies, chipmunks and squirrels. She stalks them out of the kitchen door all morning and then when I open the door she charges out.

·
Registered
542 Posts
LOL, poor thing... he wants out that window soooo bad!

Tucker is a "window hunter", too. I've got 3 windows that are frequently a slobbery mess due to him pacing back and forth between them, rabbit watching. Do your rabbits run off when Charlie barks at them? Ours don't, stupid things... I wish they would, it'd make my life a LOT quieter :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
I am not sure I understand- you want your beagle to catch a rabbit however it is not a hunting beagle?
I would really advise against this encouragment of beagle to chase/catch small animals. It can really ingrain a prey drive- thry will chase down cats/rabbits/animals and possibly kill someone else pet.
We have had a dog kill the neighbours pet rabbit, and also one of our chooks. Its very devistating, and most people want a predictable pet. If anything, I spend a lot of time training my animals NOT to chase other animals.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I am not sure I understand- you want your beagle to catch a rabbit however it is not a hunting beagle?
I would really advise against this encouragment of beagle to chase/catch small animals. It can really ingrain a prey drive- thry will chase down cats/rabbits/animals and possibly kill someone else pet.
We have had a dog kill the neighbours pet rabbit, and also one of our chooks. Its very devistating, and most people want a predictable pet. If anything, I spend a lot of time training my animals NOT to chase other animals.
All Beagles are hunters whether you like it or not. He hunts pheasants too. Rabbits eat our flowers and garden vegetables so Charlie chases them off. Charlie is not a wild ferocious animal as you make it sound. He is the most loving animal in the world. We're just curious what he would do with a rabbit, probably lick it to death.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I agree, Jon. No matter how great a pet our boy is, or how spoiled he gets living the cushy life in the house, he never forgets that rabbits are his #1 thing even though we've never taken him hunting. You'd think a dog who gets fed the easy way would give up on trying to find his meals, but he doesn't. He's not vicious about it or anything, just very serious. And he never tries to chase anything else. Not even squirrels, which surprises me.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Charlie was pretty serious about birds right away too but not any more. Guess he's growing up. He'll be 11 months on the first and even the vet said he is settling in to his adult life nicely. Still at 22 1/2 lbs and were hoping he stays that way. Fit as a fiddle.

·
Registered
143 Posts
With both of our dogs, they are happier doing what they were bred for than I think all the pampering in the world will give them. That's not to say that our dogs aren't spoiled...because they are. Quite frankly sometimes I think they eat better than us...Personally I think keeping a rabbit in the same house as a beagle is sort of asking for problems...it's like dangling the thing that would make you happiest in the whole wide world right in front of your face...allowing it to taunt you with its smell, sounds and constant presence but telling you that you can't have it no matter what. Talk about frustrated.

There are several beagler type clubs throughout the states, and if you wanted to just see how your dog does, get some tips, etc from people who have experience using their dogs as hunting dogs then I'd suggest contacting one of them. They'll also have hints and helpful advise for keeping your dog focused on Rabbits rather than deer, squirrels and other small animals. The ones I've spoken with have even been willing to let me come on a rabbit run and let tink run with their beagles...

I'm not going to turn this thread into a hunting bad or hunting good sort of thing...so if you'd like some more info please just drop me a private message and I'll send you links to what information I have. If not...well...good luck I suppose.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I was lazy when I went out with Charlie tonight and expected him to stay right by me till I could hook him up to the yard leash. Ha! He was gone! He ended up finding a dead rabbit carcass under the neighbors deck. Needless to say, 8 blocks later, with carcass in tow, we caught up with him, cornered him and was able to grab his collar. I don't get mad at him, it's funny really, especially knowing I will eventually catch him, this is how the neighborhood gets to know our beagle!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.