Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can Beagles be trained for Agility?

I understand that they are not a good off leash breed so I am wondering if they could ever be trained to do Agility.
I personally would LOVE to do this with my Gabby, but I am wondering if I am being delusional in thinking a Beagle is capable of doing this off leash.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Oh man, you don't know Barking Mad's dogs then..... Bonnie, Willow and Rasha are agility Beagles, and love it.

It does take a lot of training and getting them focused, but can definitely be done!

I wish I had an agility place close by so I can take Chloe...

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I think beagles are naturals at agility. Granted, the focus would be the hardest hurdle to overcome, but many can and do very well at the sport.

I would love to get Duke into agility. He seriously has cat-like moves and is so fast and accurate. He can jump anything and he's surefooted. Problem? Attention span of a gnat! LOL He's still young though, so maybe someday.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you for the replies.

I think I am going to at least try a begginer class when Gabby is 1(this winter)
I have only had her for just over a week and I have been able to get her to not stop at every single smell while out on a walk.
I think that is pretty good consider thats all she really wants to do.
We have also bike trained her, so we can slowly ride our bike and she runs beside us. We just go around the Bay where there is no traffic and she just runs beside us and never stops to smell a thing. Okay, well on occassion she will try to pick up a stick that is on the road but for the most part she will just run.

I know she has a good heart and a wanting to learn, I guess I will never know if she will be intrested in it unless I try.
It isn't expensive either, only $70 for 6, 1 hour classes, very affordable imo.

I would actualy love for this to work out and become a fun hobby for myself and Gabby.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Originally Posted By: Bridy...I have only had her for just over a week and I have been able to get her to not stop at every single smell while out on a walk.
I am impressed. The only way I can get the Bagel to not stop and sniff is to make him heal which is too formal and not very much fun for either of us. The Bagel is 14/15 years old, don't know exactly as he is a rescue and was between 3 and 5 when I rescued him but in the 10 and half years we've been together, he has to sniff everything every time

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I've often thought of doing agility with Jersey. There is a great place, but it's about 30-40 minutes away. Just a little too far right now.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Agility with Beagles is not for the fasint hearted but with the right training you can be very sucessful at Agility with Beagles.

As Chloe's Mommy said we do alot of Agility with our Beagles and now compete at a very high level over here in the UK. Yes its been hard work, yes we have thought about giving up. Yet we carried on knowing what a naughty breed Beagles are. now we really enjoy running them. Lots of people stop and watch us at shows, then come and comment on how amazed they are that Beagles can do Agility well.

So to answer your question. Yes, Beagles can and do do Agility and boy do they enjoy it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
at what age di
Originally Posted By: barking madAgility with Beagles is not for the fasint hearted but with the right training you can be very sucessful at Agility with Beagles.

As Chloe's Mommy said we do alot of Agility with our Beagles and now compete at a very high level over here in the UK. Yes its been hard work, yes we have thought about giving up. Yet we carried on knowing what a naughty breed Beagles are. now we really enjoy running them. Lots of people stop and watch us at shows, then come and comment on how amazed they are that Beagles can do Agility well.

So to answer your question. Yes, Beagles can and do do Agility and boy do they enjoy it.
At what age did you start training them for Agility? I don't want to start too late nor too early.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I do a beginner agility class with my little Oscar (8 months)... he started off pretty slow, but now... WOW! he races thru the course and his jumping gives any border collie a run for their money

its tons of fun!

You must try it

·
Registered
889 Posts
You can start training at a very young age, putting a pole on the floor with jump wings either side and get your dog to go through on command. Put a plank on the floor and get then to stop on the end so they learn their contacts. You can also teach them to go left and right on command all this is good basic foundation work and will not harm your pup or its development.

When they reach 9 monthss or so you can start raising the jumps off the ground a little and as the next few months go by you can increase the height. Do jumps in a straight line at first and gradually bring in angles.

When they reach 12mths and their spine is reasonably well developed so you can start training the weaves, do it little bit at a time say a couple of mins three times a day max and make it FUN!

Keep the training fun use plenty of treats and your beag will be able to do Agility.

Over here you cannot compete until yuor dog is 18mths old I dont know the AKC age limit but I guess it will be about the same.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you for the suggestions!

We have hola hoops and she is scared fo them. But she did go through the tunnel at puppy class, so I am not sure what her thinking is sometimes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts