Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day,
We have a 16 month old male beagle, Benji, who intermittently throughput the day becomes aggressive, unprovoked, like we are all sitting on the couch together and he will just start biting us. If we try and discipline him by telling him no, he just escalates to snarling and having his hackles up, and lunging at us, same goes for if we stand up and remove ourselves from the situation and try and ignore the bahavior, he then jumps and and bites, no blood is drawn, but we are covered in bruises from the nipping.
Putting him outside only stops it for the period he's out, when we let him back in the cycle starts over, because he is angry about being put out. Has anyone else had an issue like this? And does anyone have any advice?

· Super Moderator
5,400 Posts
Is he really attacking you or is it more of a rough play? How long have you had him for? The reason I ask is that puppies/young dogs can play hard and will nip but an aggressive dog will bite hard/break skin and growl. I have had beagles that fight eachother over food and I have one beagle that has bitten me when I tried to correct him. I know our member Cassie will join in here and help out with the nipping behavior, she has more recent puppy experience that I do.

· Registered
6,535 Posts
Hi
Well 16 months is WAY past the puppy biting/nipping stage. Your dog apparently thinks he owns the joint. Get him off your couch and chairs..he has to earn the privilege w good behavior. Get him into an obedience class. Also put a leash on him in the house AT ALL TIMES! Let him drag it around. My dog never bites. Shes 10.9 yrs and still wears a leash..she thinks she's under control and i can grab the leash if necessary. Youre the boss..not the dog. That said..no hitting ir yelling.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts