Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just adopted a beagle from the local pound 8 days ago. He is approx. 4 years old. We also have a 4-year-old greyhound. Yesterday when I let the greyhound into the back yard, the greyhound took off running. The beagle did not like this and was very aggressive, trying to catch the greyhound and trying to bite at him. I was horrified watching this and couldn't get his attention to stop and finally was able to grab his collar. I suspect this happened the day before too because my husband said he left them out but wasn't watching and heard the greyhound yelp. Also, two days after we got the beagle, we noticed a boo boo on the greyhound's side, about an inch round oval where the skin was completely taken away. I immediately thought it might be a bite, but we never saw it happen. This sounds like we do not supervise our dogs, but we really do!! The beagle shows no signs of agression toward the greyhound otherwise, just apparently in the yard. Now that I have seen the aggression, I am putting them in the yard separately to go to the bathroom. Does anyone have any explanation for the beagle's behavior or suggestions? I assume it is a dominance thing. I really want to train the beagle so he does not terrorize the greyhound!! Thanks for your help.....

·
Registered
400 Posts
Do you think it may be due to the greyhound running? Perhaps the beagle was carried away with the chase?

·
Registered
847 Posts
Wow Susette, you've got your hands full. Since Oscar is new to the family everyone is going to need time to adjust. One thing you might not know is the type of home he came from. Oscar may not of had that critical socialization with other dogs when he was a pup. So as an adult he doesn't know how to play appropriately with other dogs and maybe even humans.

One thing is for sure, your 4 year old beagle is full of energy and excitement. Oscar wants to run and play with the greyhound (name please). He just might not know how to play nicely (no bitting) and need some guidance. I would only let them out together when you can be present and watch them. If Oscar starts attacking the other dog in an aggressive manner then his play time is over. Personally I would put him back in his crate for a time out. After maybe 5 minutes if he was being good I'd let him out again. We have relatively good success with using time outs on Bodie to get him to play nice.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Greyhounds love to run, beagles love to chase things, I don't think it is a dominance think, I think, knowing the nature of Greyhounds that it will require some time to resolve. The first thing is to get the greyhound to chase the beagle and for them both to realize that no one gets hurt in the game!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am learning more about my new beagle, Oscar, every day and realizing he loves to chase anything that runs. I have found a wonderful petsitter that also does training and I will address this issue with her. In the meantime, I am letting Oscar and Oliver (the greyhound) outside separately and making sure to have play time including both of them together in the house where there is not a lot of running/chasing, just playing with toys. I will post again with the answers I get from the trainer and the results.

Thank you for helping me realize that Oscar will probably not kill Oliver! Moms worry, you know.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I met with a trainer last night to discuss what we wanted help with training Oscar and Oliver the greyhound.

I described the running/nipping issue and said that I have put them outside in the backyard separately or if they unavoidably out at the same time, I have on me a soda can with pennies in it and give it a shake if I see Oscar doing this. The sound is piercing for them, the metal on metal. He immediately stops what he is doing.

She said this is the correct way to handle it and this is behavior I want to stop right away before it gets ingrained for him.

I dropped my poor Oscar off to get his heartworm treatment (he had heartworms when I adopted him a month ago)......it's going to be way too quiet around my house tonight without him.....

·
Registered
400 Posts
Definitely glad that you were able to get some advise from the trainers--I hope that works. Best wishes to poor Oscar on his heartworm treatment! get well soon!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Sending healing thoughts to Oscar -- one of my first dogs, a German shepherd, had heartworm and he came through the treatment just fine. I do remember sitting up all night with him when he came home from the vet's just to make certain he didn't have any problems. He did cough quite a bit for a while but he had no long-term heart problems and lived to be a senior of 14 years!

·
Registered
837 Posts
I wonder if the grey running got the beagle excited and he got carried away? My beagle when running after something can get very excited and nip and bark. Maybe Oscar has a high prey drive and the grey running set him into drive?

Was Oscar's hackles up? The fact that he and the grey get on at all other times really makes me wonder if it was actually aggression or if Oscar just has bad manners.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts