Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Caesar has been doing so good with his aggression. But the past week or so he's been growling at night time again, especially at bed time. He just doesn't want to go into his excercise pen (that's where his bed, blanket, food, water and toys are). But if we leave him out when we're not home he eats things that he shouldn't. This morning he destroyed two DVDs. This afternoon Shane went to put Caesar in his pen before going to work and Caesar snapped! He bit him across four finger and even drew blood. I know that sometimes abused dogs will get aggressive but that isn't the case here. We don't hit him. On the contrary, he is very well loved! Why does he do this? Is it something we've done? Or haven't done?

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
It should always be a positive thing being in a confined area. Every time I reached for the bag of chicken jerky, Charlies goes right in the crate by himself and wait for his favorite treats. although he'll wine afterward in the crate soon enough he'll fall asleep. Designate a special treat so he knows when he gets it he should perform. Sneak the treat in the playpen after he goes in. Use a special word that he'll understand, I'll say night night Charlie, then reach for the treat. I know, Charlie is not the lovely sweet looking puppy I saw at the breeder. Out of the three, he was the most calm and lovable. Oh noooooo....he became quite :greendevil: now, feisty. I remember someone mention that she needs to drive to a quiet area(no dog) for a walk, I agree.
No children too.

Charlie mom

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
I don't have any answers, just wanted you to know I'm thinking about ya....
maybe if I bump this back to the top, someone with experience will see it....

wishing you well...... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He was an angel last night. No aggression at all. Right before bed time he was sleeping on the floor so I went and layed down beside him and he woke up. I got up and said "Okay Caesar, it's bed time", and he followed me into the kithchen and waited outside his pen for me to get his treat, then he went in. No problems! I don't get it? The night before it was a battle to get him to bed and last night was so easy???

·
Premium Member
3,281 Posts
C's Mom, it is not something you have done or not done. Dogs are like people, they do have their own temperament, and unfortunately, some are more cranky than others...
At this point, you should not accept him biting. Remeber that avoidance is always the first step in behaviour modification. This mean that in this instance, do not put your hand inside his x-pen. A better choice would be to open the door to him before touching him. If you do not want him out, then talk to him to say goodbye but do not touch him. If he wants a cuddle, he will know to ask. So until then, no more cuddle while he is in his pen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts