Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bella just came home today after getting spayed. The SPCA did not give me any after care instructions....just came out with Bella and was like BYE!

My Vet is gone for the day. Can anyone tell me what to expect after her being spayed? she didnt want to eat when she came home...she is currently resting on the new bed i got her....but is there anything i need to know about her after care?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
She probably won't eat until tomorrow, no worries - normal!
Offer her some water, if she takes a sip, that's great - if not, it's not the end of the world.
She will probably be fine tomorrow, eating and drinking.
Just make sure she is not messing with her stitches, and not jumping or anything like that.

She'll be fine!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
She may cough a little (or, like Maggie, a lot) due to the tube in her throat used during surgery. Nothing to worry about but it can be a bit disconcerting to hear. Anesthesia can take up 24-48 hours to completely wear off. Both water and food should be limited tonight and no problem if she doesn't want to eat anything until tomorrow. Did the SPCA at least give you an Elizabethan collar to use with her? If not and you have decided on what vet to use, you could go by and buy one. They do come in different sizes. If you are going to leave Bella alone for any period of time, she really should wear one so there is no chance of her bothering her incision or stitches. She may hate it when she is feeling better. Please ask us about anything that is worrying you -- gentle hug to Bella!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I agree with Eleanor. I'm surprised that they didn't give you any instructions. As many dogs as my vet has spayed or neutered for ME they ALWAYS give me an instruction sheet and go over it with me. She probably will be pretty tired today - spaying is a little more invasive than neutering - so they girls usually sleep most of the day of surgery (or at least mine have). Once they wake up they're usually fine. As Eleanor said, just make sure she's not chewing or scratching at her stitches (none of mine have). They usually tell you to keep them quiet for a couple of days - which is sometimes easier said than done. That's where a crate comes in handy! If she wants some water, that's fine - but don't be surprised if she upchucks if she has too much.
Good luck to little Bella! I'd offer her smaller meals tomorrow - but perhaps more frequent than usual.
How old is Miss Bella?
My Bella is sending feel better wishes for YOUR Bella!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for your replies.

I was told by the SPCA 6-8yr but the paper work they gave me yesterday says 9yrs old! lol Anyway.....Bella is drinking some water today but no food. She did vomit abit last night but she is good now. She is just resting on her bed...but when i left i found her on my sofa which i was not happy about cuz i dont want her jumping and hurting herself. She is real good and is not licking or scratching herself at all.

I just hope she is better soon. I hate to see her so lifeless.

·
Registered
400 Posts
she should bounce back in no time, Rachel. The collar is mostly for situations where you're not around to watch her. It was hard to ignore how miserable Java was when he had the cone on--since our beagles love to sniff so much the cone often made him stumble as it scraped the floor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.