Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buddy just recently turned 3 months old and got all his shots. I have been starting to take him on walks. But the problem is he is very afraid of cars. Everytime a car passes by he will get very scared and stop dead in his tracks. So now evertime we go on walks he doesnt want to go and he gets very tense.

Luckily i live in a quite area and maybe 2 or 3 cars will pass by during the walk. But still I dont want him to be afraid.

Any suggestions?

I was thinking maybe going to a parking lot and just sitting there and let him watch all the cars go by.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Bodie was afraid of cars too at that age. It started with walking by parked cars. He'd pull way to the other side of the car as we walked by.

What I would do is get down and encourage him to come over to the car. Then I'd give him pets and tell him it's OK. He'd skittishly sniff around it and then want to continue the walk.

He's done the same thing with trash cans, garden clippings and anything else new or foreign to him. After seeing these things a few times he got more comfortable and was no longer scared of them.

So I say give it time and eventually he'll get more comfortable. He's just now getting out and the entire world is new to the little guy.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Part of our walking area is on a very busy road and Maggie tended to go towards the cars. She was too interested in them so I taught her to move to the side and sit as the car passed by. I was afraid she would run in front of a car if she ever got loose.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My dog is afraid of ANY noise outside, wind, trees, kids, antying. I live in a pretty busy neighborhood, so there are almost always at least 5 cars or so that drive by on our walks.

He used to run back and pull really hard, but now he just tries to keep walking. When a car passes, i take up all the slack on the leash and keep him very close next to my side standing still until the car passes.

Our house is on the main street in our neighborhood, so he has gotten used to them fairly quickly just being in our front yard (where he potties)

I think it is definitely a matter of time until he just gets used to it.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
As long as he's young, you should expose him gradually to any environment you can, noises, smells, and make him feel that it's okay and nothing is wrong with different noises etc.
Make him feel that you are there for him but don't shelter him too much that he will run to you with every little scare.
Treat a lot and praise him along the way.

Exposure is the most important thing to get them to not be afraid.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Not too long ago I posted about Charlie afraid of cars. For Buddy it may be the case, he is still too young. It happened to Charlie at that age. We stood at the corner of the street and just let him watched the cars goes by. He now conquered the fear. I found out why he barks at the cars verses cowering at one side like before. He had no fear, but rage. He is telling me that cars are dangerous. I remember couple of times while crossing the street, cars turning right on a red do not seems to watch where they going, some did not even stop for us. Charlie gotten fed up so he starts barking at them.
Marley knew the lightning bolt are dangerous, been warning John about it, just as Charlie knows cars can be dangerous. I respect him for that matter, I just reassure him that we are ok and safe. That little thing is merely trying to protect me.

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
That is very normal for a puppy! Even an outgoing pup like
Goober was with people & other pets, they are smart enough to
shy away from mechanical things like cars & vaccum cleaners!
Jethro is not as bold as Goober was as a puppy as J-RO was
the runt & last of his litter & is shy with new people. But
Jethro unlike Goober has spent more time with other family members & relaives in an effort to make my away/vacation time
easier for him & Homer to cope with my absence!!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Happy New Year and thanks for the replies.

The other day i tried using treats when we go for walks. It was a little better but he is still afraid. I am sure he will get used to it as time goes by. I am going to start sitting outside my house for 20 minutes everyday now and let him watch the cars go by. Only about 5 or 6 go by in 20 minutes but its a start.

thanks again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts