Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our beagle pup is normally very social and has tons of energy! Recently though he became very subdued and scared of the bug zapper outside. We just started using it and at first he went to a corner of the yard, crouched down and started shaking like a leaf. The next time we turned it on when he was inside the house, this seemed to work better but the windows were open and he still appeared to be a little frightened of it. He's not a rescue and we have had him since he was 8 weeks old and he is now 9 months old. Has anyone else experienced this with their beagle? We were thinking maybe it was the frequency or Hz of the bug zapper that was annoying to him...

·
Registered
472 Posts
I had replied in another post about this same thing. Our Daisy is deathly afraid of the smoke detector when the batteries get low and it beeps, she shakes and won't leave my side. I was in the shower once and the smoke detector started to beep and she tried to jump in the shower with me! She is also deathly afraid of hot air balloons, one came over the house once and she just about ran through the sliding glass door to get in. She is almost 5 and these 2 things scare her the most. Things you wouldn't even think about sometimes scare them. Try to reassure him the best you can and hopefully he will get used to it.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Murphy was terrified of bicycles on the trail when we walk. He would lock up when he spotted a bike, sometimes a half mile away. It was all I could do to drag him when a bike was within sight.

I started keeping a pocket full of Charlee Bears (treats), and gave him one each time he saw a bike. He is still wary, but will continue to walk when he sees a bike. He's no longer terrified, he just keeps an eye on them.

Hope this helps!

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Maggie is afraid of smoke. It started when she was pup between 2 and 3 months old. My husband was deep frying shrimp and got the oil too hot. It smoked a little and Maggie shook so hard she could hardly stand up. If someone who smokes cigarettes comes to the house she barks and barks and will not get within their reach. When we were doing obedience classes a man stopped to watch for a few minutes. Maggie actually bayed at him. No one in class had ever heard her even bark so we all thought it was funny. When we left class the same guy was standing outside the front door smoking.

·
Registered
140 Posts
It seems as though all little beagles have their random fears! Mine is deathly afraid of my laundry basket, and full garbage bags (those black ones). She will cry and shake until someone takes the thing away, so she can continue on her way.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for your support! We tried again last night to turn it on and he was in the house. We let him decide when he wanted to go outside and then when he got busy with his beagling, he seemed to ignore the zapper! We're hoping for more success and that he just needs more time to get used to it...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts