Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all ! I am in need of some advice. I got a beagle puppy about two weeks ago now and she is three months old. My routine starts in the morning around 7:30 when she starts moving around her crate (which i believe is too big). I wake up take her to the living room ( i live in an apartment) to see if she needs to go potty. After i will give her her food in the crate and she will stay in there until about 9 ish or so. I work from home so as soon as me and my wife wake up we move her cage next to my work desk ( while im taking her to the living room). Around 9 ish i will take her out of the cage and play with her for about 20-30 mins. She then goes back in until about 12 when i take my break. I eat and i give her her second meal i then take her out and play with her for my entire break (30 mins). She goes back to the cage next to me while i work and i take her our again around 2-3 for again 20-30 min. She goes back in until four thirty. I then take her our and play with her from 4-7PM. I then place her in the cage in the room next to our bed. Now for the advice ( i know, long story). Should i buy dividers to have in the living room and just l leave her there while she in the cage or im i doing fine. Im hoping the fact she can see me work and talk assures her i am there. She has toys and a bone in her cage.

Thank you.

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
I highly recommend "baby gates " or a folding pen..getting as much as needed for your room that way your dog has a little more freedom for a period of time. Now i bought one that was 2 feet high and kept wondering how I found her on the opposite side..until i witnessed her jumping over the fencing...lol
Therefore get at least 3 feet high. It will also protect her chewing on your things, cords, furniture..etc.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea i am just worried that she is spending too much time in her crate, my only consolation is that im next to her at all times so she doesn't feel alone,i give her treats and the breaks we have while im working where i can play with her.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello all ! I am in need of some advice. I got a beagle puppy about two weeks ago now and she is three months old. My routine starts in the morning around 7:30 when she starts moving around her crate (which i believe is too big). I wake up take her to the living room ( i live in an apartment) to see if she needs to go potty. After i will give her her food in the crate and she will stay in there until about 9 ish or so. I work from home so as soon as me and my wife wake up we move her cage next to my work desk ( while im taking her to the living room). Around 9 ish i will take her out of the cage and play with her for about 20-30 mins. She then goes back in until about 12 when i take my break. I eat and i give her her second meal i then take her out and play with her for my entire break (30 mins). She goes back to the cage next to me while i work and i take her our again around 2-3 for again 20-30 min. She goes back in until four thirty. I then take her our and play with her from 4-7PM. I then place her in the cage in the room next to our bed. Now for the advice ( i know, long story). Should i buy dividers to have in the living room and just l leave her there while she in the cage or im i doing fine. Im hoping the fact she can see me work and talk assures her i am there. She has toys and a bone in her cage.

Thank you.
View attachment 41881 View attachment 41880
She looks very cute and calm. My puppy, Neo is going to be 4 months old soon. He is not so calm so I have connected a playpen (36 inches in height) to his crate to let him have
more space to play and move around. We also take him outside(backyard only) for potty breaks and playtime in a day. I am not a experienced dog owner as Neo is my first puppy....just sharing my experince.

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
So adorable. Welcome to the forum. Feel free to ask all the questions you want for advice. Make sure your yard is fully secure. Beagles are not off leash dogs and will run away given the chance. Its good youre making a pen area so your puppy doesnt get into mischief and pee/poop in the house. Take your dog out on a leash to potty train. Hope you're using a crate. My dog is now 8.9 yrs old and still lices her crate. She will go in it on her own and sleeps in it at nite. I dont even need to close the door anymore.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So mine is kind of a the metalic cages, its big enough for her, you guys think its not good to have this time?

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
I have a wire crate that i now use in my car. I was given the bigger crate so thats what i use for my dog now. Your crate is perfectly fine.

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
One more idea..i would put a cover on the top and sides of the crate so it feels more cozy to your dog. Try a big towel. I cover the crate so its dark..my dog buries herself. Lol.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One more idea..i would put a cover on the top and sides of the crate so it feels more cozy to your dog. Try a big towel. I cover the crate so its dark..my dog buries herself. Lol.
I actually have been doing that for the past month but at night, should i do it all the time?

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
If your puppy whines i would do it.. also keeps the dog calm in the crate..definitely your choice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts