Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, when I told you guys I got two pups at the same time....you knew you'd hear me asking for help soon enough, right? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif It's been a busy week. My dad had two heart attacks, my dear friends 2 month old baby died, and my daughter fell and fractured her arm in 2 places. Needless to say things are busy and more busy at my house. I have not exercised the pups as much as I've needed to due to the above events. I have noticed that they bark like mad non stop when I am not right in the room with them. Do you think it's a not enough exercise situation? I'm sure that's a contributing factor at least. I've left Kongs and toys and chewies to help entertain when I couldn't be right with them. Please share your advice and experience with me. Otherwise they are doing pretty fantastic...just a noisy bunch!!! Thanks everybody!!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Blue only barks when we have to kennel him to go to work and sometimes at bed time. He has horrible seperation anxiety and with us being gone during the day, it doesn't seem to be getting any better.

I don't think it is an exercise issue, I think they can read our moods and feelings. They know that you are stressed and they want to be with you all the time more so now than usual.

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
First, I am so sorry about your dad's heart attacks, your daughter's fall, and your friend's tragic loss. I can't imagine the stress and heartache you're going through right now. Our thoughts are with you and your family.
I'm a Cox.net user, so don't get to visit BW nearly as often as I'd like, and I don't know much about your background. But tonight the BW proxy link gods are with me, so here I am!! Anyway... I don't know how old your pups are, but I take it they're pretty young? You may be right, they may be barking for attention, or they may be picking up on what I'm sure must be unavoidable tension at your house right now. But it porbably is that they just want more exercise. Beagle babies need lots of exercise; remember, a tired beagle is a good beagle!! If you don't have time to walk them much at this time, maybe somebody else could help out occasionally?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Oh my god, I'm sorry that you and your family and friends are going through such a hard time... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif
Your pups might need more exercise, or just got used to getting your attention by barking. Try ignoring them when you are not around, and treat them when they are quiet. Do it gradually, first leave the room for just a minute or two, and then for longer periods of time... maybe that will help.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Sounds like you've got some good advice. If Barking gets attention then barking could be in order from your pups minds. They are old enough to sense tension in the pack as well then the barking also expresses that their members of the pack. If they are bored from lack of exercise, then barking could be in order. They key to this is that a tired beagle is a happy beagle, and also a a tired beagle is a quiet beagle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea, thanks! I do think it is related alot to not getting enough exercise while we've been at the hospitals and funeral stuff. Last night I got home and loved them up real good and exercised the yappy cute puppers and they actually had a much better (quieter /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif ) night after. They do the bark thing when they see me go from room to room and they are not right with me but I am doing as one poster said and ignoring that, then when they get quiet give them attention. I think they'll be just great. In fact, I gotta leave the office now and go wear them out again for a quiet night. Thanks again.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I don't know about their background. If you adopted them, they could have been abused in a similar way as Derby was. He was left alone outside for several days without food or water. When we first got him he would bark like mad when we left him. Some background info would be appreciated.
~Russell

P.S: Sorry about the horrible events... you'll get through it, though :thumbup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts