Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Ive got a really good routine going on with Glover in the morning and lunch, with me being on shifts, I just adjust these accordingly.

In the morning he always gets at least 20 min walk no matter what my shifts. Then at lunch time he gets play time.

In the afternoon though its hard, my hubby comes home around 3ish and this is usually when Glover sleeps but my hubby cant do anything because if the dog stirs he gets all hyped up, obviously lol. My hubby takes him for a walk, about 30 min depending on when I come home, then I take him for a walk.

Glover has now taken to barking at me when I come home, this is the only time he barks (unless he has chicken..) and its only at me. This is after our walk too.

He gets fed at 6pm no matter my shifts. but between our walk and feeding time, he barks at me none stop, he gets attention though, so I honestly dont know what to do!

does he need a longer walk?
when I say no bark he just barks more, praising him when he stops... hasn't worked, he has been doing this for about 3 weeks now.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Could he be barking at you because he knows you feed him and he wants the food earlier?

Our dogs get fed in the morning right after we wake up, but on weekends sometimes it takes a little longer and Cassie gets very vocal with us until she has her food. She doesn't actually bark, she "boo-roo-roos" at us until there's food in the bowl.

Does Glover stop once you feed him?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow,yes he does stop once I feed him!

that sounds so simple lol

thank you zookeeper

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Glad to be of help, paws crossed that this solves the problem.

·
Registered
837 Posts
It sounds like Glover doesn't respect you much, and is telling you what to do (i.e. barking means "feed me now, mum!!")

What sort of obedience training are you doing with Glover? (I know you told me, but I forgot /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif lol).

The school at Chermside starts up again this coming monday, and our club president has just added another beagle to his pack - an 8 week old puppy. So they would be great people to have a chat to! I think the things you learn at obedience will also help Glover respect you more, and you can transfer it to home too.

Here is the club website:

http://www.metrodogclub.com

·
Registered
326 Posts
Haha, Leia is a vocal one and always talks back to us. The Boo-roo-roo is so familiar, I spat my drink out when I read that. That is exactly what she does.

If she wants a pat, she jumps up onto the lounge, digs at our arm and goes "boorooroo". She doesn't get a pat until she stops digging and demanding and is sitting quietly. Except for my Andrew thinks it's hilarious and gives her a pat because she's being cute.

What about the good ol turn your back to him and ignore him till he stops. Then turn around and pay attention to him..?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Thankfully my male beagle, Tate simply goes and lays in his kennel and looks at me with those soulful eyes when he wants to eat. He's such a good dog. Now if I could teach Maya our female to behave we'd be in heaven.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:Originally posted by Smeagle:
It sounds like Glover doesn't respect you much, and is telling you what to do (i.e. barking means "feed me now, mum!!")

What sort of obedience training are you doing with Glover? (I know you told me, but I forgot /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif lol).

The school at Chermside starts up again this coming monday, and our club president has just added another beagle to his pack - an 8 week old puppy. So they would be great people to have a chat to! I think the things you learn at obedience will also help Glover respect you more, and you can transfer it to home too.

Here is the club website:

http://www.metrodogclub.com
Obedience training - I make him sit before feeding, I walk out and in before him. He knows sit, come (doesn't always though..), down, roll over and shake lol

he is going to Pads Obedience school and agility club that is just around the corner, I would have loved going to the Chermside one but Pads is more convenient.

Crate training is a charm!!

the food thing worked though although I took him for a longer walk then fed him before he started barking. Now he's happilly playing in the back yard.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:Originally posted by Erin & Andrew:
Haha, Leia is a vocal one and always talks back to us. The Boo-roo-roo is so familiar, I spat my drink out when I read that. That is exactly what she does.

If she wants a pat, she jumps up onto the lounge, digs at our arm and goes "boorooroo". She doesn't get a pat until she stops digging and demanding and is sitting quietly. Except for my Andrew thinks it's hilarious and gives her a pat because she's being cute.

What about the good ol turn your back to him and ignore him till he stops. Then turn around and pay attention to him..?
lol yeah, Im working on it, ta!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts