Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Yesturday Morning Lucky got his collar and stitches taken off at the vets, however come later afternoon I notices he had like a slight cough nothing that was through the whole day, here and there, like a choking cough, anyhow it became worst in the evening before bed, and lets just say all night he kept us up with his, dry heaving and choke like cough,this morning some bile came up,( little white with faded yellow, I have no clue what this is, durring the night I would massage gently his shoulders and neck under his mouth, soothing him inbewteen it would calm down for 5 mins maybe less then start up again... right now it's approx 9:am and it's a hell of a lot less then durring the night, anyone know what this could be?
I could only read on 2 things on the net, canine cough and parvo, , Canine cough, help please, did he catch something at the vets?

any advice will be good, but I wont be able to check messages till later tonight, I held off work for too long getting Lucky ajusted to his new home, and gradualy left him only for 2 times for 2 hours at a time getting him used to his new home, I will be leaving him for 5 hours today, so hope this goes well.

talk soon, and thanx

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sounds like it could be the beginnings of kennel cough ... not unusual for them to pick it up at the Vet's office. Giving eccinachea w/ Vitamin C w/ rose hips(500mg daily) has always worked well for me & is quite the economical treatment for kennel cough.

Hope your pupper is ok!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
It does sound like kennel cough... I would contact the vet, and consult.
If it is kennel cough, than he surely picked it up at the vet and he should treat it as part of the previous treatment Lucky got at the vet.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi thanx for the advice on what it might be, I came home later than planned, and guess what? Lucky never did any damage nor did he potty in the house, all he did was have bile in places:) something he could not help. happy dance and boy did I praise him, and took him for a walk right away, not a long one cause he was making cough noises a little.

so I just read your posts and I contacted the vets telling them what's up, they said keep an eye on it tonight and see if it's to the degree as last night,then bring him in for a check up in the morning, if it's the same... I said ok but if it's something he picked it up from there? cause he was great before...She said No No, we have nothing here. I was thinking yeh you F;ers *sorry for bad word* blame it on something else rather than your facility, so as I thought that, I said; well how would you know even about the pets that come into your place before they are even checked out?, she never responded, I don't have much patients and hung up on her.

Grrr so anyhow I'm gonna see tonight wuts up when it's bed time, it seems at the moment when he's playing or getting hyper excited, he starts gasping and coughing heaving, sheesh.

thanx again:)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hi
Hope Lucky is OK.
If it is kennel cough he would not have picked it up yesterday as it has an incubation period of approx. 7 days.It is spead in the air and is highly contagious but not normally too bad in a young healthy dog.You do need to keep him away from other dogs though.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Hi,

I don't know the story about Lucky. Is he a puppy or an adult dog? How long have you had him? Was he a rescue or did he come from a breeder?

I ask those because he may have picked up kennel cough from where he came from. I don't think it would come from a recent visit to the vet unless he picked it up when he was there earlier (like a week ago). It's all in the timing.

I see you live in Vancouver so I don't know if heartworms are prevalent there but I've had too much experience with them and they also make the dogs cough.

Glad that Lucky has you to take care of him.

Keep us posted.

~Denise

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lucky is 14months old.

We adopted him just a few weeks ago, 3 days after we brought him home, we got him fixed:)that was the 10th he was brought in, on the 20th he went in for removel and cone taken off.

So it seems it was from the vets.

Lucky was healthy, in body wise that is:) when he was here for those days, he was showing no signs of coughing choking gagging or dry heaves of any kind, it starting shortly after his cone came off that day, worse at night.
UPDATE, I took him in to see the Vets , Doc pressed somewhere in the front, which made Lucky cough, anti-biotics were to be given for yeh thanx everyone Kennel Cough.

I told them that Lucky more than likely picked it up when he has Surgery, You know they would not admit nor confess to it.....Quacks.

So In a Huff Me and My Lucky left.

I did search on the net about it.

Some docs will give anibiotics, however it aso says it does not help all that much.

It can last upto 20 days, it just has to take it's course. They recommend some Viti-C and some honey for soothing, I tried the Honey , He did not want anything sweet, so I put a pin size little butter in the middle and he licked it up.

I also gave Him V-C which he was not too happy with.

I have kept him away from his doggy walking play friends, and only take him on short walks, not to run him down, and he's not in contact with other dogs. I'm gonna try My best at this natural remedie, and do My best to make sure He gets better. *sigh*

I will try to Boost his Imune system more.

Poor Guy he's not had a single brake since we adopted him. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update:

I have decided to give Lucky raw garlic, a piece the size of My pinky nail, morning and evening the last couple of days.

I figure it's great for Humans and more than likely will do wonders for him. (he may just start smelling like a clove of it) ha

His Cough has almost gone down to a dull roar.
It seems when he's playing or running alot, tireing himself out is when it's only happening more and I'm realy trying to keep that to a min too.
Evenings He's not keeping us UP:) YAH HOO.
I hope this means he's recovering.

I will be continue the garlic. anyone else give thier dog's garlic?

P.S I should also mention since his cough, He piddles alot more argh

thank you

·
Registered
614 Posts
"Just a little warning about using garlic as a flea remedy: in large amounts garlic and onion can cause anemia in dogs by interfering with normal hemoglobin production. I've heard that garlic can work on fleas, but found that it only upset my puppy's stomach and gave her garlic scented farts (nasty!). Later on I read (National Geographic, among other sources) that it can interfere with hemoglobin production and should be avoided - though onions are worse for this."

you will hear this alot.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi,

Ummm Garlic is not being used for fleas.

Garlic is being used for a cough he has/had, read previous posts, but I will keep what you said in mind. Seeing one of the sites I found had the exact thing you posted, BUT also some good things to say about GARLIC:) http://www.earthclinic.com/Pets/garlic_for_dogs.html

It's working great so far for his cough/cold.
Imune system /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif .

I will however cut down the garlic to a pinch only in the morning with His breakfast.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by BeagleWeegle:
Hi,

Ummm Garlic is not being used for fleas.

Garlic is being used for a cough he has/had, read previous posts, but I will keep what you said in mind. Seeing one of the sites I found had the exact thing you posted, BUT also some good things to say about GARLIC:) http://www.earthclinic.com/Pets/garlic_for_dogs.html

It's working great so far for his cough/cold.
Imune system /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif .

I will however cut down the garlic to a pinch only in the morning with His breakfast.
I feel it is in the moderation of everything a dog eat, too much is bad, too little won't hurt them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Madison.

Your right.

So I did cut down to only 1 pinch in the morning.

Could not believe have fast his Cough has healed /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Thank you for your advice, being a new breed owner is hard:(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts