Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After much research, I decided that a beagle would be the perfect fit for our family (I had a black lab growing up).

We found a respectful breeder and visited over the weekend, and ended up putting a deposit on not one, but two pups - one boy and one girl. They are barley 5 weeks, so they have a couple more weeks before they will come home with us. Part of the thought of two, was that eventually, they will be home for 3-4 hours at a time, and we were concerned with them getting lonely / bored at home.

Since I had not planned on two, I have been doing some research, postmortem, and have seen many horror stories about trying to raise / train two puppies, especially from the same litter.

Has anyone had good / bad experiences with this? I would like to know what we are getting into so I can either a) calm our nerves or
choose a single pup so that we do not get in over our head and have to go insane or return a pup.

Thanks in advance!
Joe in AZ

·
Registered
786 Posts
I will calm your nerves about it.... I was in your shoes almost 3 years ago and I read the horror stories about the bonding and not getting litter mates. Then I found this site and I recieved wonderful feedback from people who owned littermates.

I have two sisters and I love having them. They have different personalities and they make us laugh. The only downfall that I can see is when they are way older and something happens to one of them (but i try not to think of that). House training would be the same as any other dogs.

Pleas just ask the questions and you'll get lots of answers here.

Just enjoy them and watch how quickly they grow....

·
Registered
837 Posts
First of all welcome to BW!

My opinion is don't do it! Beagle pups are hard on their own, two would be a lot more work than you will expect it to be.

My beagle was my third dog, I also have a chihuahua cross and a Siberian Husky. After raising the Siberian I thought I was so prepared for owning a beagle, and that puppyhood would be a breeze. How wrong I was! It was so much harder than I expected and while not all beagle pups are as challenging as mine was, they can be very difficult pups to raise.

Raising two pups at the same time is not only hard work, but it makes it harder for you to bond with each individual pup. Often the pups bond to each other more than they do to you. Training two pups at once can also be tricky, as it is harder to do one on one work. People often run into trouble when the dogs have to be separated i.e. one dog has to go to the vet while the other stays at home etc. You also might want to consider that you will eventually have two elderly dogs at the same time, and this can be very hard on your family as they get older and you potentially lose both dogs around the same time.

While it might be nice for the pup to have company, I would wait until 6-12 months (or whenever you feel it is the right time to add a second pup to your family) before getting another.

3-4 hours is not a long time for a pup to be on it's own and IMO all pups should learn to be able to cope home alone for a few hours. As long as you accustom the pup to being alone on it's own (start with leaving for 15 minutes, and then increasing that time) and make sure the pup has some toys to occupy itself, you should have no worries

Hope the above helps!

·
Registered
786 Posts
Joe, I understand were Smeagle is coming from, but having done it, I would do it again.

I can take each for a walk alone, as well as together. Maggie had demodectic mange and had to be treated every other week at the vets, so they had there seperate time. Also in the house there not always together either. I had them crated seperate also. So I try to treat them as sisters, not as twins.

It is twice the work, but twice the fun!!!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Originally Posted By: pfrJoe, I understand were Smeagle is coming from, but having done it, I would do it again.

I can take each for a walk alone, as well as together. Maggie had demodectic mange and had to be treated every other week at the vets, so they had there seperate time. Also in the house there not always together either. I had them crated seperate also. So I try to treat them as sisters, not as twins.

It is twice the work, but twice the fun!!!
I'm sure there are some people like yourself who have had no problems raising two at the same time!

But I also like to give people a balanced view where they can weigh up the positives and the negatives. Buying two pups at the same time is rarely advisable for a myriad of reasons. There is a LOT that needs to be considered, and while I think your post was great, I do worry that sometimes when we only look at the positives it makes it sound easier than it actually is.

Having a focus on obedience and training I have come across a few people who have problems when they have bought two pups at the same time, and I am yet to come across a trainer or behaviourist that recommends it. I'm sure there are people like you who have had success with it, but there seem to be a lot who struggle too - it is definitely not for everyone and potential two-pup owners need to be warned of the issues that can arise. In reality some people are not prepared for the 'twice the work' part of raising two pups together!

I have met a few puppy owners and breeders who all say they would never do it again, so there are certainly some people out there who have done it but advise against it.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Welcome Joe! As much work and headaches as it's going to be in the beginning, you're doing the right thing by bring them home together at such a young age. But you've got to be prepared to do lots of training with both of them. My advise is get both of them into a Puppy Training class at 8 weeks. You can find a 6-week program at Petsmart for $120. You'll want to get off on the right foot with both of them ASAP. Do not delay the training, it will only make things harder on you later in trying to correct bad behavior. I also suggest getting either of these books, My Smart Puppy and/or Guide to Raising a Puppy. These will very valuable resources for you in the beginning. And of course you have all of us and our two cents. There's a lot of change in these forums.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Even though my boyfriend's and my first beagle (Spock) has turned out to be submissive, smart as a whip, and just the best dog ever, the process of his housebreaking and the constant challenges to my dominance during the first month or two (when he was 3-4 months old) were very frustrating. After he was trained and had aged a couple of months, we added a second dog (Bones). They are very close and act as though they're siblings.

I find it has been a little tougher to train the second dog, as I have had less one-on-one time with miss Bones than I had with her brother. It also took a longer time for her to bond with us (though I think that may be attributable to her having been poorly socialized, living in a display box in a pet store, from the time she was weaned until we bought her when she was 5 months old).

But having two close to the same age has turned out to be good - we got them fixed at the same time, they have the same energy level, they eat the same amount and kind of food. And I like having two for the reasons everyone lists for having two dogs (they keep one another company, not that much more to handle once you've got them trained, etc.)

Staggering getting the dogs by a few months has worked out ok for us, but it might not work for everyone. Just relating my experience in case the info turns out to be useful!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
and welcome!

When I got Chloe I never even thought of getting two pups together. However, with Beagles, and especially if there's no other dog in the house, if I had to do it all over again, with all the hard work it entails, I would take 2 together, in a heartbeat.
Beagles are extremely pack oriented and love having the company of their pack, they are sometimes mentally depended on it, even. A lot of dogs, and Beagles especially tend to have separation anxiety and having another brother/sister will most likely help with that, especially when they are raised together and keep each other company and constantly busy.
They keep developing their social skills (which will not negate the need to get them out and about with other dogs and people), and they will probably be more confident.

Having said that, puppies are money drainers especially in the first year, but if you can afford it, and give them both attention and love - good luck

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome to the BW pack!

As for the question: Adopting 2 sibling puppies at the same time...

There are MANY opinions, many variables, and many answers (as you can see by the posts above). Alot depends on you, your family, your finances, and the puppies personalities. All of which can work into making everyone happy.

Good luck.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I don't have two from the same little, but I have two who are a joy to me and my family. My family had sibling poodles, and there wasn't a problem with them , the littlest girl, kept her brothers and any other male dogs in tow....I don't know what problems they were talking about, but these two were devoted to each other until the end.

DO it!

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I agree with everyone having two puppies to train is hard work but in the long run worth to have two of a kind
I wish i would have take one of Coco's brother's with me.

·
Registered
890 Posts
When we first looked into getting a beagle we first tried to get a pair with Seattle Beagle Rescue. They wouldn't let us because they wouldn't adopt 2 to an inexperienced beagle owner. It turned out for the best because then we adopted our Cleo instead.

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Originally Posted By: Joe BeaglesWelcome to the BW pack!

As for the question: Adopting 2 sibling puppies at the same time...

There are MANY opinions, many variables, and many answers (as you can see by the posts above). Alot depends on you, your family, your finances, and the puppies personalities. All of which can work into making everyone happy.

Good luck.

Ditto the above!

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I'm going to agree with Smeagle.

From my own experiences I know I would never get two puppies at the same time. Training two pups simultaneously is very hard and being Beagles which are a challenge to train anyway makes it even harder.

As an example: Think about trying to teach two pups to heel at the same time? It can't be done, so you have to walk them individually which takes twice as long.

I would never recommend anyone get two pups at the same time unless they are fully aware of the hard work and have family members willing to help.

A reputable breeder here in the UK would definately advise against two pups going to an inexperienced dog/beagle owner and so would a dog trainer/behaviourist.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Originally Posted By: JenniferI'm going to agree with Smeagle.

From my own experiences I know I would never get two puppies at the same time. Training two pups simultaneously is very hard and being Beagles which are a challenge to train anyway makes it even harder.

As an example: Think about trying to teach two pups to heel at the same time? It can't be done, so you have to walk them individually which takes twice as long.

I would never recommend anyone get two pups at the same time unless they are fully aware of the hard work and have family members willing to help.

A reputable breeder here in the UK would definately advise against two pups going to an inexperienced dog/beagle owner and so would a dog trainer/behaviourist.
Thanks Jennifer, I was beginning to think maybe it's just me and I'm a terrible trainer as there is no way I would want to attempt handling two puppies at the same time! I don't have enough patience, LOL

I agree with you in regards to breeders, I am quite surprised when breeders let two pups from the same litter go to the one family as the majority of reputable breeders I know won't do it... I know breeders too who have run on two pups from the same litter and even they find it hard work!

·
Registered
229 Posts
When we adopted Squeegee we considered getting his brother but decided against it since it was our first puppy. After a few months we really wished we had gotten his brother b/c Squeegee started showing signs of separation anxiety and because he seemed to have boundless energy! We would play fetch, play the trick game, go for a long walk and come home and he'd still sit there and look at you like come play!! We got Chamois about 2 weeks ago after having Squeegee for 6 months and have seen dramatic improvements in his separation anxiety and they play like they've been friends forever. The reasons I'm glad that we got one to begin with is that I was forced to do so much training with him just to keep him busy and that we were able to bond well.

As far as training goes, though, I think that if you and your family understand that you will need to spend a good amount of time training them separately that you will probably be fine. They will probably be best friends and it will warm your heart to see them snuggling together

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Originally Posted By: SmeagleThanks Jennifer, I was beginning to think maybe it's just me and I'm a terrible trainer
Don't think that, raising one at a time gives you that special bond and a well trained dog. Of course there are many Beagle owners here who have successfully raised two at a time but it isn't right for everyone and something I'd never do.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just adopted two beagles this weekend. They are older and they are great together. I feel much happier leaving them home alone together to play. They have each other and are always playing and wrestling.

Best of luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Hey there,
i joined this forum just to answer your question.
i was driving along 2 years ago and spotted a lady walking two beagles. i asked her about them as i had never had any experience with beagles. she said they were great, but if you get one, get two instead.
so this last july was my wifes birthday, and she had been wanting a puppy. an acquaintence had a litter of beagle pups, he put me on the spot to get one and i said, well actually i think i dont want one i want 2. He said, i have the perfect pair, they have been inseperable in the litter and really are attached to one another. I tookem.
i named them bonnie and clyde, brother and sister. Now mind you these are the first dogs my wife and i have had as a couple and we have been marred 15 years. btw, no kids yet either. so, the beagles were our kids. we are so happy we got 2 we cant stand it. there are so many times when the dog would be alone, and of course theyre not, and there isnt a real dominant alpha thing with these 2. they do get sad when one gets left alone, i would suggest that early on you take them apart for a while (like take one to the store with you and leave one home.) so they get used to that too. but watching them interact was S0000 fun, and i know that i could never hav had the energy to play the way they did.
4 months later a friend dumped another pup on us (not their litter mate, totally different brood) but a purebred beagle that was 7 weeks old. That was different. he has gotten bigger than the other two now, and yes they all get along, i still think better than if any one had been a single dog. but he has now established alpha.
so my EXPERIENCE has been great.
i can tell you more later about how we trained them etc.
it wasnt hard.
gotta go for now.
Herm

1 - 20 of 32 Posts