Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mother in law has had to be put in a nursing home and can't have her 1 1/2 yr. old toy poodle(sophie) that we got her for company so now Sophie is living with us and Cheyenne. The pup is fast and high energy and Cheyenne is 13 and mellow,we have Cheyenne on Clomicalm and Sophie on Reconcile, they've both been through the upset stomach phase from there homes being disrupted. Have any of you been through this? How long does it generally take for them to get used to each other? We haven't caged Cheyenne since she was a pup,and we are caging Sophie while we are gone but I don't like it and want to give her free run in the house while we are gone but I don't want Cheyenne to hurt her either.Right now Cheyenne tolerates her while we are home and just walks away from her.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I don't have any time frame for you, but just keep waiting, they will come around. We got our second dog last August, and our older one did not want anything to do with her. He is very laid back and she is a bungle of energy. They slowly got used to each other, and now they play a bit, but still give each other space. In our case the younger one is still a pup, so it is a bit different. Just have patience. If you have the capabilities, maybe try letting Sophie out in a separated part of the house for a while.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I've only got one dog, so I can't give you any ideas about time frame. Is there a way for you to keep Sophie out of a crate but still separated from Cheyenne? Like baby gated in the kitchen or something like that?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone. We have made it through our first week of Laura and I being back to work and with your advice and alot of prayers and patience Cheyenne and Sophie have gotten along pretty well being home alone and without a crate being used.Cheyenne has even shared a toy or two.=)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts