Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Tuesday, Duke got a little tummy upset and threw up and was less active that night, but I thought he just got a little bug and the next morning he was 100% normal.

Then Thursday night he was just fine and then a few hours after I got home, he was throwing up again and this time was more and he felt bad all night and though he was mostly better the next morning, though still a little less active than usual. By that night, he was zooming around and totally fine.

Both nights, he had been in the backyard before the incident. We kept trying to figure out what was causing the issue, but there was nothing we could come up with. No new plants, no chemicals, nothing. Finally this morning, I decided to scour the lawn and searched every inch until I found the only thing that it could be. The apricot tree is full this year and though we were expecting to have to deal with getting all the apricots up once they ripened, but I found little green fruit on the ground, a few of which had been 1/2 eaten. Even if I thought maybe it was the squirrels eating part of it, I saw Duke grab one and I took it out of his mouth.

The tree is large and full. We've thought about cutting it down, but Dave is afraid that so many of them would fall off, we would miss some of them and Duke would find them. Right now, we're just watching him constantly when he's outside, but we have to find a more permanent solution. We thought of netting around the tree, but not sure if anybody had had any experience with this.

Any solutions or ideas would be appreciated. We need to act on something soon because Duke loves to be outside.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Not having owned an apricot tree, I'm not sure how much they produce (is it year-round?).

If you policed the area morning and evening, would that be often enough to reduce his exposure to the fruit?

Poor baby......sending get well hugs ......those beagle noses seem to get our pups in so much trouble, don't they?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They just started producing fruit and it's really small right now. They ripen around end of May usually, though it seems to be an earlier crop this year. It will continue to produce until July or August.

We had planned to police it constantly during ripe season (we never thought he'd try to eat them green). We also never thought he'd get so sick from them. The labs have always eaten some of them will no ill effects, but they ate them ripe and spit out the pit. Since the pit is the poisonous part, I assume because Duke ate the whole thing, that's why he got so sick. So we're scared to take the chance of him getting even one.

Thanks for the get well hugs, he is fully recovered now, we are hoping to keep it that way!

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Is there any way you could temporarily fence off the area around the tree while it is bearing fruit? The only experience I have with something like this goes back quite a few years when we had a bassett hound and avocado trees. Gaylord LOVED to eat the avocados that dropped, but always developed diarrhea afterwards. We finally fenced off that area of the backyard and the problem was solved.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's an option we'll have to look into. We are afraid of putting up any obstacles in the yard because Roscoe is blind, but if have to, he does adapt to change quite well. Thanks for the advice.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Poor Duke. When we got Maggie we had the same problem with plums. We had to install some new fencing anyway so we fenced the yard so that the plums and apples are out of her reach. Maggie sends her sympathies to Duke for his tummy ache because she had one from eating so many plums.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts