Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My roommate just added an 8-week old border collie pup (named Callie) to my furry collection (consisting of a 4-year old beagle named Toby and an 11-year old black lab/collie mix named JAK).

I've had the lab the longest, although the beagle quickly set himself up as the alpha dog shortly after I adopted him.

The beagle and the lab manage to work things out between themselves. The lab is a lot larger than the beagle, so if the beagle gets a little too power-hungry, the lab will bark and the beagle chills out.

The problem I could use some advice on dealing with is that the beagle takes the new puppy's toys and treats and then growls at her if she comes up to retrieve them.

The beagle will even go into her crate to pull them out.

I've given both the lab and the beagle their own treats. When the lab is done, he's done and finds something else to do. When the beagle is done, he goes straight for the puppys.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears. THANKS FOR READING!

Toby + JAK pictures
Callie + roommate pictures

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome to Beagle World. :wave: I wish I could give good advice, but I have a couple of males who aren't good about sharing, either. The youngest one is really bad about having to have the toy that the older's playing with. Maybe someone will be able to help both of us.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I have to give each dog a treat in their own separate kennel. If there is any left when the dogs are let out of their kennels then I just have to lock the kennel shut so the others don't steal what isn't theirs. All 3 of my dogs prefer the other dog's treat regardless of the fact that all 3 are identical items. For some reason they think somebody else's treat is better. My female beagle is the absolute worst one of the bunch though.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Duke always tries to steal Roscoe's (13 y/o lab)treats and toys. Roscoe is blind, so it makes it easier for Duke. We reprimand him when we see it, but Roscoe does let Duke have it from time to time.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I'm hoping you get some good advice from others because I need it too!

Our youngest beagle Popcorn takes every toy away from our middle beagle Moose. She doesn't really want to play with it and usually discards it shortly after taking it from him, but she clearly just doesn't want Moose to have it... Moosie loves his toys, however, and will play with them for hours - so it all becomes a vicious circle with Popcorn taking his toy and then leaving it, then he takes it back and starts to play and then she takes it away again, and on and on and on. It doesn't help to give them 2 or 3 or more toys, either, because whatever one Moosie has Popcorn then wants and takes away from him.

The other problem is that Popcorn has so much baggage that even just saying a firm NO to her when she is being a brat like this is enough to totally destroy her world and turn her into a shivering creature with her ears way back on her head and her eyes the size of saucers. So it is definitely a struggle to try to correct her behaviour...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts