Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haha, don't know if any of you have tried to express your dogs' anal glands but apparently it can be quite exciting! Squeegee has had a hard time expressing his on his own so the vet showed us how to do it. I tried this morning and it took about 5 tries, by the 5th try I was about to give up and was, needless to say, quite suprised when it suddenly sprayed all over me!! Haha, like I said in my post last night... I must really love this dog!! He's totally worth it, by the way

·
Registered
320 Posts
what do you mean by express your dogs' anal glands??

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
We have our vet do it. Animals have glands on each side of the anus. They get full of fluid occasionally. Usually if the dog eats a good grade of dog food with some fiber, the anal glands release the fluid on their own. Sometimes not and the vet or the owner has to squeeze the glad to express the fluid. It is a very yucky process and the fluid smells terrible. Smells like a dead fish to me.

Maybe someone else can explain this better?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
You're braver than me! That's something I won't try.
Thankfully, Li'l Girl seldom has any problems with her anal glands. I'm guessing you headed for the shower after the dousing.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I have the vet do Hunter's. She gets full quickly and has had an infection, so I would rather the pros do it. That way I know it's done right and she can be annoyed with them not me. Casey has never had to be done. Hunter gets done about once a month.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I have never successfully done it, but tried. We usually have the vet or groomer do it when needed. We can usually tell he needs it when he starts scooting all the time. The little I've gotten out sure does stink.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Originally Posted By: Tucker's DadThe little I've gotten out sure does stink.
Lol well it does come out of their bums its not suprise that it does stink.. and maybe next time vicki wear a poncho or something

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Duke and the labs never had a problem, but I noticed Violet doing the scoot thing lately and made an appt. with the groomers to have them expressed. It's not something I want to even try myself.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I do both beags' glands regularly. It's absolutely disgusting, but better than them licking themselves on the couch or scooting on the carpet. I had the vet show me how. It takes finesse- hold a wad of toilet paper over the pucker, grasp with forefinger and thumb at 4:00 and 7:00, push in, feel the marbles, pull outward.

If you can hold onto the toilet paper, you can avoid getting sprayed with the nastiness!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Luckily, Jersey hasn't had any problems with hers yet. I can tell when they express when she poops sometimes. We've been fortunate. Amber released hers on me once while laying next to me on the couch. YUCK!!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts