Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
Our family just adopted a 2 year old beagle who will be a companion to our other dog, a shepherd/lab mix. She's adorable and sweet but has had no training at all. After 3 days of VERY consistent effort, she is just starting to sit on command, but only after she goes crazy for a few seconds. This is such a different ballgame than working with our other dog! When the treats come out, the beagle goes wild for them and it seems like she doesn't even hear the command. Our other dog sits, then actually paws at the beagle's rump to try to get her to sit! Leash training is also going very slowly. I'm wondering about going to clicker training instead - or anything that isn't as distracting to a beagle as food. Do you have any recommendations on a good training method for this spirited doggie?
Thanks for any suggestions!

·
Registered
2,270 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
I was going to suggest training after exercise, like brandy mentioned. Dogs are much easier to train when their bodies and brains aren't so hyper. :)

Also, I wouldn't work on training right before a normal feeding time.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Echoing what Brandy and Epoh have said about training after exercise :) But also wanted to say that, having trained a variety of breeds before my love affair with beagles began - I have found that beagles need constant reinforcement during training. Whereas my sisters labs will pick things up and retain them very quickly, my boy needed (and still needs) a lot of patience and reinforcement to get to the same point. It's not that he's not bright - he's the opposite if anything (I'd call him "wickedly" clever, lol), it's more that he's very determined and would prefer to keep on doing things HIS way - it takes a fair bit of time and patience to convince him that my way is better ;)

·
Registered
896 Posts
Echoing what Brandy and Epoh have said about training after exercise :) But also wanted to say that, having trained a variety of breeds before my love affair with beagles began - I have found that beagles need constant reinforcement during training. Whereas my sisters labs will pick things up and retain them very quickly, my boy needed (and still needs) a lot of patience and reinforcement to get to the same point. It's not that he's not bright - he's the opposite if anything (I'd call him "wickedly" clever, lol), it's more that he's very determined and would prefer to keep on doing things HIS way - it takes a fair bit of time and patience to convince him that my way is better ;)
I discovered that with Dillon, my Beagle. He was 8 months old when I brought in an 8 week old puppy that my neighbor couldn't keep. He was completely potty trained at that time, but within 3 weeks he had started urinating on the floor like the puppy. I ended up rehoming her, and within a few days he was back to normal, but I had to treat him like a baby pup at first-going outside with him each time he pottied and giving him a treat and saying"good boy",etc. Basically I had to retrain him.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 3-year-old beagle is still SUPER hyper and highly distractible, despite lots of training and daily exercise. This month, we started working with a dog trainer who uses positive reinforcement/replacement behaviors for unwanted behaviors, clicker training, and game-based training. So far, this is the only thing that has consistently worked to help with his distraction and howling. He has a long ways to go and is incredibly difficult to train (such a stubborn dog!). We just adopted his 1-year-old lab brother a few months ago, and that dog has already learned far more than the beagle has in the 2 years I've had him. Hang in there, be consistent, and try to make things into a game. Absolute Dogs is a dog training business in the UK that offers a cheap online training course based on games called "Sexier than a Squirrel Challenge". If your beagle is food-motivated (most are, mine is not, but he likes some of the games) this might be a fun thing to do with him.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts