Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been seeking to adopt a beagle or beagleX and had to stop my search for awhile due to a family illness. Last week I took my adopted 3yo lab/hound to meet a 7yo beagle who is at a very nice no kill shelter. He is dog friendly but they said he never cares to interact with the other dogs. I noticed when I met him that after a quick sniff with my dog he ignored him and wanted me to pet him. I petted him and called my dog over and noted that he didn't snap or growl at my dog while being petted which was great. However a friend of mine said I should keep searching for a dog that shows more interest in other dogs if I want my dog to be happy - which I do and in fact its very important to me. I know he would love a youngster to romp with (altho he is not hyper or high energy) but if I do adopt I definitely only want to help an older dog. Also they are both neutered males and some people seem to feel opposite sex is best? Thanks for input, everything else is find except wanting to make sure they will be happy together and I don't want my dog to be unhappy
anne

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
We have four rescue beagles each adopted at different times, and I have really never had any of the existing dogs immediately be interested in the newcomer - I find that is something that takes time as they get to know each other. I am happy if they sniff each other and seem okay with each other - I would perhaps be worried if either one's hair stood up along its back or became aggressive if I tried to pat the other one (although that hasn't happened with any of our adoptions).

Our eldest Booker is not a playful dog, and I sometimes wondered if she even noticed that we had adopted another dog since she seemed at first to continue to go through her life after Moose arrived without really acknowledging his existence... but then we started to notice that when we had been out and came home they were ALWAYS together - to me that suggested that they actually did get something out of each other's presence - even if that wasn't evident when we were there.

Another thing which makes me think you are doing the right thing helping an older dog is when you say that you would love to have a youngster for your existing dog to romp with - but that he is not hyper or high energy. In that regard I do wonder if he would therefore really in fact love to have a youngster arrive - or just be frustrated or annoyed having a new dog introduced with a higher energy level who was always bugging him to play when he really didn't feel like it. That was definitely something we were sensitive to with Booker when we adopted Moose - she was only 3 at the time but already pretty set in her ways (about 95 % of her life is spent sleeping, punctuated by bursts of eating and walking activity) and we really didn't think an in your face young puppy would fit well at all with her routine.

These are just some thoughts I had from reading your post - and from what you described I don't think there are any signs that would suggest your existing dog would not be happy if you adopted this beagle... Is there any ability with the shelter to take him home for a few days to see how things develop from the first meeting?

As for which sexes are best together again I really think it depends on the two dogs.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts