Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4 yo lab that loves other dogs and he seemed to do well when I fostered a dog for many months for someone. I am thinking of adding a beagle rescue (female 3yo)but getting cold feet now that its almost time to meet her. I started worrying that my dog's feelings will be hurt or that she could turn out to be possessive and jealous and make his life a misery. When I meet her (with him) of course I am going to eliminate her if they don't seem like a match. Unfortunately she will not have been in foster care for long enough for anyone to really get to know her that well but the rescue has several applicants for her and I guess not everyone is as anxious as I am about adopting
anne

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Let me say first of all that I have every belief that things will go well with a new dog, especially since you and your lab had a foster pup in your family for so long.
As to integrating a second dog, I'm a firm believer in enforcing a pecking order with the dogs so that the original dog knows he is still first in your heart, though everyone gets their share of love (the first dog gets attention, food, and treats before the second). That will hopefully ensure there's no jealousy and make both your lab and the beagle feel secure in their place in your pack. I hope the beagle is compatible and finds her forever home with you. Good luck!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Labs and beagles usually get along very well.

When they meet, trust your instincts and judgement. Keep in mind, beagles are pack oriented and she will enjoy having another dog around (and you too). Let us know how it goes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts