Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone-

I'm new here. I can't figure out how to put a picture of Dunkyn as my profile picture, but she is absolutely adorable, and SUCH a good dog- she's so much easier than we thought it would be to raise a puppy. :D We'd both had dogs before, but never as adults.

Anyhow, we got Dunkyn from a breeder in May and she's now 6 and a half months old. She was spayed a week ago today, and we've noticed that in the last few days she's been having pee accidents. The first few days after surgery she didn't have any accidents at all. Prior to the spaying, she hadn't had an accident in months. The last 2 or 3 days she has had accidents when we're both home- she "asks" to go out, but then when we go to the door she runs away and acts like she didn't really need to go out (goes and lays down, etc.) but then squats on the floor! :no: We're wondering if this is a temporary side effect of the spaying? Other than this she is 100% back to her normal self (and has been since a few days after the surgery)- her dissolvable stitches are totally dissolved, and her scar is nearly non-existent.

Anyone experience something similar? :shocked:

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi..we recently adopted a 3 yr old Beagle who was just spayed this spring after apparantly having had litters of puppies and she for sure had some accidents after her spay.

My vet explained that her body's signals feel differently and that it should improve.
We just had to be really on top of getting her out more and not waiting for her signals, as she couldn't hold it through the night and sort of woke up from sleep, stumbly and pee'd, looking like it had taken her by surprise.

Happy to report, getting her out moments before we went to sleep, and having her on a good diet and exercise, has seen all of this totally disappear and now she can hold it through the night no issue and easily makes it to the back door to ask to go out.

Good luck. She is adorable.

·
Super Moderator
5,373 Posts
She is so cute! :)

Vazzy had accidents after her spay. I caught on quickly that she needed to get outside more, so luckily there were only a few ooops. I think her body was different for her and also she drank a little more water.

If the peeing keeps up you might want to call your vet - just to be sure it isn't an infection.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Very cute! Lily didn't have any accidents after getting spayed but then we took her out regularly without waiting for her to ask to ensure she had ample opportunity to go, it was also during nice weather so it was hard to get her to come inside anyways lol.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
she is so cute. Kuos on spaying. I would first mke sure there is no UTI. Then I would restart potty training as if you just brought her home at 8 weeks old.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Welcome Dunkyn.
Our girl didnt have any problems soon after being spayed but when she turned about 4 she started having small accidents while she was asleep. We also notice she needed to pee very often when we went for walks.
We had her checked by the vet and he explained that it is often seen in spayed dogs because of the change in chemicals that have direct control on the bladder.
Abby was prescribed Incurin which has eliminated it completely. She needs to take this medication every day which is a little costly but at least the problems gone and she seems more comfortable which is important.
I am not saying this is what is wrong with Dunkyn - it was just our experience.

·
Registered
896 Posts
ALthough I have had numerous dogs spayed at 6 months, and never had this problem, it is one of the side effects listed in the studies I've read about negative effects of neuter spay. Actually it is the ONLY side effect that even the oldschool vets in my area admit to. And unfortunately, it can be permanent. However, I believe there is some medication that will controll it but it must be given daily for the rest of the dog's life. (It is probably some kind of hormone?) If this situation doesn't doesn't clear up shortly ask your vet about it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi everyone. Thanks so much for the responses. For a few days, she was better- no accidents at all, and then a few days ago she had 2 in one night. I called the vet, they agreed that we should bring her in. So, we did and we brought a urine sample. Turns out, she had a minor bladder infection. So, she's on an antibiotic now and hopefully she'll be just fine :) She hasn't had any accidents since she started the medication.

Thanks again for the warm welcome and the advice :)

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
(((hugs))) glad it was an easy fix, sorry your going through that.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Kiwi, what your dog experienced is exactly one of the things I've been reading in the studies of side effects of neuter/spay. Maybe it only happens in RARE cases-I don't know. All my adult life all I heard were the POSITIVES and I never questioned that. I always had a neuter spay bumper sticker on my car, etc. I'm still not sure about the whole thing, but I have determined to give this some independent study. We're all on board with the new thoughts of what we should feed our dogs, and how BAD the previously accepted commerical food is, and we're also all on board with the new vaccination protocals-i.e. the yearly boosters we've always been told were necessary for the pets well being are now known NOT to be. Yet, when it comes to the spay neuter thing, people get upset and don't even want to look into it. I know that is probably because of all the homeless pets, overflowing shelters,etc. But as one who has done rescue for more years than some of these members have been alive, and ALWAYS n/s every pet I had- I am NOT an irresponsible owner! But I also believe that two wrongs don't make a right and if there are some negative aspects with this I want to know about them and I feel all dog owners should be made aware and be allowed to make the individual choice with their pets.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts

·
Registered
2,270 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Let's see if this works (trying to post a pic of Dunkyn):

Same thing going on with my daughter. She’ll be 6 months July 7. She got spayed Monday so it’s been 4 days so far and she keeps having accidents. I’m washing her bed and blanket as we speak. I put another one in her kennel and that’s wet as well. When I take her outside she will squat and pee anywhere, and anywhere between 3 and 8 times within 4 mins. Sometimes nothing comes out or very little like she has a uti. I did call the vet on Tuesday bc I noticed there was blood in her urine and they told me it was normal it will eventually clear up. It has gotten better but at times u can still see a little of it. She is her normal self ready to play she’s pooping with no problems. She randomly jumps and I have to tell her no down and get her back in her kennel but she can’t hold her pee, keeps having accidents and it’s making me nervous. She is still on her Antibiotics which I would think would work but it’s not looking like it yet. I also have been giving her yogurt which is one of her favorites hoping if it is a uti it will help her out. I can’t bathe her yet and my poor girl is funky and starting to smell like dog and pee… lord please take the wheel

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Your dog is very cute. It could be a combination UTI and pain thats causing incontinence. Give the abx time..usually takes 10 days to clear up an infection. Did the dog get any pain med? If so give it..
Keep the dog in a restricted area so you dont get pee everywhere. Try using doggie wipes..they're scented and you can just wipe her down. Does she have a follow up appt?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same thing going on with my daughter. She’ll be 6 months July 7. She got spayed Monday so it’s been 4 days so far and she keeps having accidents. I’m washing her bed and blanket as we speak. I put another one in her kennel and that’s wet as well. When I take her outside she will squat and pee anywhere, and anywhere between 3 and 8 times within 4 mins. Sometimes nothing comes out or very little like she has a uti. I did call the vet on Tuesday bc I noticed there was blood in her urine and they told me it was normal it will eventually clear up. It has gotten better but at times u can still see a little of it. She is her normal self ready to play she’s pooping with no problems. She randomly jumps and I have to tell her no down and get her back in her kennel but she can’t hold her pee, keeps having accidents and it’s making me nervous. She is still on her Antibiotics which I would think would work but it’s not looking like it yet. I also have been giving her yogurt which is one of her favorites hoping if it is a uti it will help her out. I can’t bathe her yet and my poor girl is funky and starting to smell like dog and pee… lord please take the wheel
Dog Dog supply Vertebrate Dog crate Dog breed

1 - 20 of 20 Posts