Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this has been posted yet but it doesn't hurt to do it again. I got this e-mail this morning...

If you have a dog ... PLEASE read
this and send it on. If you don't
have a dog, please pass along
to friends who do.

Written by:
Laurinda Morris, DVM
Danville Veterinary Clinic
Danville , OH

This week I had the first case in history of raisin
toxicity ever seen at MedVet. My patient was
a 56-pound, 5 yr old male neutered lab mix
that ate half a canister of raisins sometime
between 7:30 AM and 4:30 PM on Tuesday. He
started with vomiting, diarrhea and shaking
about 1AM on Wednesday but the owner didn't
call my emergency service until 7AM.

I had heard somewhere about raisins AND
grapes causing acute renal failure but hadn't
seen any formal paper on the subject. We
had her bring the dog in immediately. In the
meantime, I called the ER service at MedVet,
and the doctor there was like me - had heard
something about it, but ... Anyway, we
contacted the ASPCA National Animal Poison
Control Center and they said to give IV fluids
at 1 & 1/2 times maintenance and watch the
kidney values for the next 48-72 hours.

The dog's BUN (blood urea nitrogen level) was
already at 32 (normal less than 27) and
creatinine over 5 (1.9 is the high end of normal)..
Both are monitors of kidney function in the
bloodstream. We placed an IV catheter and
started the fluids. We rechecked the renal values
at 5 PM and the BUN was over 40 and creatinine
over 7 with no urine production after a liter of
fluids. At the point I felt the dog was in acute
renal failure and sent him on to MedVet for a
urinary catheter to monitor urine output overnight
as well as overnight care.

He started vomiting again overnight at MedVet
and his renal values have continued to increase
daily. He produced urine when given lasix as a
diuretic. He was on 3 different anti-vomiting
medications and they still couldn't control his
vomiting. Today his urine output decreased
again, his BUN was over 120, his creatinine was
at 10, his phosphorus was very elevated and his
blood pressure, which had been staying around
150, skyrocketed to 220 ... He continued to vomit
and the owners [censored] to euthanize.

This is a very sad case - great dog, great owners
who had no idea raisins could be a toxin. Please
alert everyone you know who has a dog of this
very serious risk.

Poison control said as few as 7 raisins or grapes could be toxic.
Many people I know give their dogs grapes or raisins as treats including our ex-handlers.
Any exposure should give rise to immediate concern.
Onions, chocolate, cocoa and macadamia nuts can
be fatal, too.

Even if you don't have a dog, you might have friends
who do. This is worth passing on to them.

Confirmation from Snopes about the above:
http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/raisins.asp <http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/raisins.asp>

· Banned
2,994 Posts
That is terrible. I have heard about raisins and chocolate but hadnt realised onions could kill. Snoopy loves walnuts, which fall off our neighbours tree into our garden, are they bad?

· Premium Member
2,500 Posts
When I am working with an adoption applicant I always mention the obvious like chocolate/coffee beans, garlic, onions,etc. I find many people don't know about grapes, raisins, xylitol (very dangerous), macademia nuts and avocado. I know some pet food has avocado so I am not sure why it is on the dangerous lists.
I think onion is only a problem in large quanities but in a sensitive dog could cause pancreatitis. In large amounts it can cause a form of anemia.
I haven't heard about walnuts as a problem.

· Registered
830 Posts
Here's an excerpt from a message my wife sent to a veterinarian friend on the topic.

<span style="color: #333399">Hey Bryan, silly vet question for you....are grapes toxic to dogs? We just planted some grape vines and are now hearing that they might be harmful to dogs? We are tempted to dig them up.....
9:56pm · Comment · Like · See Wall-to-Wall

Bryan at 7:06am April 30
Can be in large numbers 1 or 2 probably will not do anything. It has been shown to causes kidney problems. At this time they are not sure of the true cause but best to avoid it if you can. My dog as been known to eat what ever the kids drop including raisins and she has not had any problems. Her latest blood panel showed her kidney to be in good health.

Bryan at 7:10am April 30
Grapes and raisins all have demostrated the potential to cause the problem store bought or home raised so the cause is probably like choclate and it is a failure to be able to break down a part of the grape that leads to the toxicity. Maybe this more than you wanted to know. I would fence off the grapes from the dogs or remove them if you think they will be tempted to devour the clusters one afternoon when you are not watching.</span>

· Registered
220 Posts
Our dogs have gotten into raisens a few times. (They seem to have learned to use the kid's stepstool.) They had no ill effects, other than odd stools. The raisens didn't seem to be digested, which I guess is a good thing.

I offer this experience just to lessen the panic -- different dogs have different sensitivities to toxins.

Other lesson -- if your dog has tremors/shaking with vomitting/diarrhea, get to a vet IMMEDIATELY.

· Registered
850 Posts
Toby has gotten them a few times from my toddler and he had no problems. I do my best not to let my toddler have raisins anywhere near the dogs because you never know when the concoction is just right to trigger problems, but he has survived the few times he's gotten them or grapes.

· Banned
19,926 Posts
Raisins aren't something we have in the house. However, our Traveler find some wild grapes last fall, and ate we don't know how many. We did the the peroxide to induce vomiting thing which didn't work on him, but he must not have eaten many since there were no ill effects. The grapes and grape vines were disposed of to prevent further problems.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.