Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
My beagles stay in crates and like it

I had/have the exact same problems with my beagles. Before I got them I always said that I would never put them in crates.

After bringing them home, I quickly changed my mine. I felt terribly guilty at first. 8-5 is a very long time. It's very important that you definitely make the crate cozy and get your pup accustomed to it before leaving her in for hours at a time. I also like to leave the tv on and make sure that all of the blinds/curtains are open for them to look out.

When I first started keeping my beagles in crates and even now, I make sure that they always get plenty of exercise before and after being put in. If the weather permits, I always wake up and walk my girls for at least 15 minutes. Then when I get home I walk them for about an hour. I think that it's VERY important that you have someone come home at lunch/during the day to let the pup out to the bathroom. 8 hours is way too long for a little one to hold it. Also, I have heard it's much harder to properly potty train forcing them to be in their crates that long holding their bladders.

This is my routine and luckily it works like a charm:

8 a.m. Beagles go in crates with the t.v. on with a Kong filled with peanut butter.

11:30 a.m. Beagles get taken out to the bathroom and get fed lunch. Sometimes they get a mini walk.

5:15 p.m. Beagles get taken out to the bathroom and walked.

It's all about a routine.

I hope this helps. It surely works for me and I even live in an apartment.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.