Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it has been 2 weeks since Beagle Lillie got sick and almost a week since she went to Rainbow Heaven. Her littermate, Beagle Chloe just doesn't seem right (although hubby says it is just because I want another Beagle so soon???). While I am not home during the day to see how she acts and while she does have an outdoor mate (Boxer P), she does not have a hunting mate.

Chloe does not immediately run out *to hunt* in our backyard in the mornings nor does she *hunt* in the evenings like she used to. Instead of running with Boxer P or Stray Jack she just growls at them (hubby says she is enjoying her new found alpha female role in our household).

I know it has only been a week but how long before she is my happy go lucky Beagle again???? I want another pup but am afaird with 75lb Boxer P (he would not hurt a flea but he does tend to jump a lot and step all over everything) and with the economy the way it is, I am not sure we could afford another emergency). I know there are rescues out there (Boxer P and Stray Jack are rescues) but still not sure.

So how long do Beagles mourn (if that is what she is doing)? Do their human's attitude affect that (we have been acting as normally as possible).

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I'm so sorry about your loss x

Dogs do miss their canine companions and Chloe will take a while to adjust to not having Lillie around. It's different for each dog but after my first Beagle Lilly died it took Rosa about 3 months before I would say she was back to her normal self. She spent a long time sitting around not doing much and if I accidently said Lilly's name in her company she would start sniffing around under any door that was shut hoping that her friend was on the other side.

She completely lost interest in toys and playing and the only time she came alive was when I took her for a walk.

Give Chloe time and try to treat her as normally as possible. They do pick up on our emotions no matter how normally you think you are acting around her. They know when you are sad. Rosa will come and sit next to me on the couch and gently rest her head against my face when I'm sad. She gets visibly upset when I'm crying and I can see the concern in her eyes.

Sherry doesn't seem as focused on my emotions though so all dogs react different.

Hugs and Luv to you and your family x

·
Registered
18 Posts
i lost my Suggie three months ago and casper seemed very quick to adjust. Still he seems very upset when we go for a drive, its like he doesn't know his place in the car or truck without her. I agree with Jennifer dogs can sense your emotions. I don't put much value in your husbands theory because i'm sure Chloe can't read your mind.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I am sorry to hear that Chloe is grieving. Maybe taking her for extra walks, trips in the car and just keeping her busy would her adjust to the void in her life.

·
Registered
605 Posts
My cocker spaniel, Daisy, grieved after her 'brother' Buddy passed away. I think it was especially tough for her because we took him to the vet in a frenzy, and didn't think we'd have to put him down, so we didn't think to take Daisy. So she was very confused by the situation, not being able to see him pass (some say that dogs can tell when a companion is deceased and can accept it a lot more quickly), and it took her a little while to adjust. Once his smells finally wore off she seemed much better. She was also a pretty old lady herself and she bounced back, and Bud had been with her from her puppyhood, over 12 years.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Bazel didn't seem to grieve at all for Merlin much to our sadness it was like he was never there and they were together for 10 years. He didn't go off his food or stop chasing the wildlife. I guess the only thing is he always wants to be where we are like he misses the company so maybe he does miss him. It kind of bothered me a bit that he didn't seem to miss Merlin, my sisters dog howled and cried when his companion died and then sadly died 4 weeks later. I guess they are all different. We are on a wait list for a puppy but it will be May before we get one if all goes well and then Merlin will have been in Rainbow Bridge for 7 months.
All the best with Chloe sorry I couldn't give advice as I said our Bazel was the same.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts