Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this recipe online a few years ago on a 'free recipe' site. Tramp, LOVES these so I thought I'd share the recipe here.

I usually make up a double batch and freeze them (Tramp loves them frozen or thawed!) as they grow fuzzies if not refrigerated. Personally I simply roll out the dough and cut it into treat sized squares before rolling in the parmesan; cuts down on prep time and Tramp doesn't seem to really care what shape they are!

We've been known to take some from the freezer when going to visit friends with critters as a little doggie gift.

Cheese Twists For Dogs

2 c Whole wheat flour
1/4 c Cornmeal
1 med Egg
3/4 c Water
1/2 c Grated Parmesan cheese

1. Combine all ingredients except 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Knead until thoroughly mixed.

2. Using a teaspoon, scoop out dough and roll into 1-inch balls. (Or, divide the dough in half, then into fourths and so on until you have 18 small pieces.) On a lightly-floured surface, roll the balls into pencil-shaped sticks.

3. Roll sticks in remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, then flatten them by hand or with a rolling pin. Twist each stick several times and place on an ungreased baking sheet.

4. Bake in a preheated 325'F oven for 30 minutes.

5. Let cool on pan. Store in a sealed container.

Source as per recipe site: Short Tails and Treats From Three Dog Bakery

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I love to make home made treats for Jersey. I'll have to try the recipe out next time. I make them quite often. So often, that Jersey comes running every time the buzzer goes off on the oven. She thinks that everything that comes out of the oven is for her. Silly Beagle!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
LeeAnn -- there is a kiosk at our local mall that sells dog treats and I bought a couple of parmesan sticks for Maggie a couple of weeks ago. She loved them! They sound exactly like what you make. I think Three Dog Bakery is great -- I've bought stuff from them in the past.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
The Bagel always gets to share my food, maybe if I made em he'd let me share his /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif How do they taste?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jen-n-Jersey... that's funny about Jersey /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif (Then again she is my child and I was known to chew on milk bones when I was her age :lol2: )

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
LeeAnn, Jersey has burned her nose three times now sniffing at items on the stove. Twice was when I was baking her treats and I'm not sure when the third time happened. I just noticed the blister peeling on her nose a couple of days ago, so it had to have been something I was making for dinner. By the way, usually the only time the buzzer for the oven is going off is when I bake her treats. I'm not a big cook so baking dog treats is one of the few things that my oven gets used for.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts