Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, here is a situation that I am in and I am sure that I will have, and want to get other people's opinion. Cassidy is 9 weeks of age, and is in the process of potty training. So, far, 4 accidents and counting for being in the house for 2 days. Now, I am crate training, and when she starts to go on the floor, I tell her no! and then take her outside, then tell her to go potty. When she goes, I praise her. (she seems to think that when she scratches the door, I take her to go potty...now she keeps scratching it to go outside for the heck of it.) The problem is, my parents have raised beagles and told me that I should not promote puppy pads, because there should be no positive enforcement for going inside. Well, it's rainy and cold here in Florida, and the last thing I want is for my baby to get sick. So, do I use the pads? What should I do? I also should mention that I am partially disabled and my fiance works all of the time. I will be doing most of the dirty work. I am trying to work on her about sitting, ect, but right now she is too worried about the smells. lol, that's why they say patience with beagles. Stubborn little creatures. So, tips and what have you would be great!

·
Registered
847 Posts
First off, you have an excellent crate training plan in place. Well thought out and well executed. As for the scratching at the door to just go out and play that's a tough one. On one hand you want to encourage that behavior but on the other you don't want her doing it every five minutes.

Personally, what I would do is when you do take her out and she goes potty is keep an eye on the time. When you go back in and 5 minutes later she starts pawing to go outside again I'd ignore it. I wouldn't even say stop it or acknowledge the behavior at all. But, in say 2-3 hours if she does it again then take her back outside. I think she'll learn pretty quickly that you're only going to take her out as necessary for potty time.

Oh ya, in regards to the use of training pads, I'll leave that to others to address. How and what we did probably isn't the correct way to do it. But it worked for us.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I don't think that the rain is really something to worry about as far as Cassidy getting sick. Ours had to go in the snow for a few days and didn't seem to have a problem. As long as she's not out there for hours I don't think it's a problem. It's also a great idea to get her comfortable with going in the rain while she's little so that she doesn't refuse to go in it when she's older.

As for puppy pads it seems like a bad idea b/c it will teach her that going inside is ok sometimes. I wanted to be really clear with ours that going inside was NEVER ok. However, if you don't have another option, than going on a pad is better than going on the carpet! Ours didn't seem to know what the pad was for the few times that we used them. He just tore them to pieces, haha!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Understood on the raining thing and getting used to, my parents beagles are premadannas. However, lol, it's raining rather hard outside...lol. I also have all wood floors, so it is easier to clean up. There are just days where I cannot walk, and will not be able to take her outside I suppose, so going on that pad will have to be an option. I just want to hear other's thoughts and experiences to try to weigh my methods.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would like to thank you for complementing my crate training methods. It's greatly appreciated. As for your experience with training pads, I would still like to hear your methods?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts