Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Katie and Wednesday went to their annual exam on Friday. They received their annual rabies vaccine, and the distemper (the vet gives these on a every 3 year basis).

Well Wednesday is fine, but we noticed this afternoon that Katie is acting more lethargic and not her normal happy excited self. She is eating, drinking, taking treats, going 1 and 2.... To me I would say is is "achy"

My question is has any of your beagles had a side effect from the distemper vaccine or the rabies? And does this sound like a reaction to the vaccine? It is late tonight, but if she doesn't look better tomorrow we are taking her the the emergency vet.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I was really worried about Maggie after her 1 year boosters. She was quiet, didn't play wouldn't jump on the couch. We had the vaccines on Saturday and I didn't want to call my vet at home on Sunday since it didn't seem urgent. She was improved on Monday morning and back to herself on Monday evening. I am going to mention it to my vet the next time I go in because I know that with cats if they have a reaction the vet likes to monitor them a few hours afterward the next time. I think Maggie was just sore and achy but I want to have it noted in her chart for future reference.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Courtney, your description of Katie does sound like a reaction to the shot. Hopefully, she will perk up today. Reactions usually don't last more than a couple of days. I would second Connie's suggestion re making sure your vet makes a note of it in her chart. My Maggie's reactions to annual shots got so bad (in spite of pre-treatment with benedryl pills and shot) that we have shifted to annual titers for everything except rabies (and she gets her rabies every year rather than the 3 year so the dose is a little easier for her to handle). Titers are basically blood tests to determine if levels of stuff in the vaccines are sufficient. Many more vets are becoming open to this option, particularly for adult dogs. Downside is that the blood titers are still quite expensive.

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
The more I am reading lately, the more it seems we are over vaccinating our dogs. I am planning to get titer tests done in the spring rather than vaccinations to see if the dogs even need them. So many dogs are having bad side effects to the vaccines, it really makes me wonder.

Here is an article that I have been meaning to read but have not gotten around to it yet.

http://www.critterjungle.com/content/view/33/54/

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Katie's reaction sounds like what we have always been told to look out for after ours have had vaccinations. We've never noticed having that reaction, though. Hope she is feeling better soon.

We also switched to titer testing for Booker after she developed a large lump at the site where the vaccinations were given the first time she got them after we adopted her. In the years since then she has never had to have all of the vaccinations in any one year - sometimes one and many times none. It does make you wonder why it is standard to give them all every year. For Popcorn and Moose they have never had a bad reaction to getting them so for now we are just doing the regular thing but I do worry if that is the right thing. A friend of mine had a golden retriever that died suddenly at the age of 8 just after getting her vaccinations - she has done a lot of research since and is convinced that the vaccinations played a role. Scary.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi just a little update, Katie is doing great. Back to her oldself. I have decided that I will call and talk to the vet about this, I think I will see about the titer the next time she has to have a distemper vaccine.. so in 3 years.

Thanks everyone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts