Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we've been using our crate with little Beasley (11 weeks old) and it seems to be going well. Right now since it is summer, my significant other (who is a teacher) is able to be with Beasley during the day while I'm at work. We do keep her in her crate during the night, and she does a great job. No whining, no waking us up in the middle of the night for potty, just sleeps straight through until I get up in the morning, then she is up and ready to go.

But during the few times when neither of us have been home, we've been using a baby gate and keeping Beasley in the kitchen...Now we just heard from a friend that proper crate training requires that we keep Beasley in the crate whenever we are away. Is that accurate? Things seem to be going well with this whole kitchen thing...2 weeks with her and we've had 0 accidents in the house (knocks on wood)...Is it necessary to put her in the crate when we leave, or are we doing ok putting her in the kitchen?

Beasley thanks you for your responses.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
We put Maggie in her crate when we leave the house. We started when she was a baby because she will chew/eat anything she can reach. For the first ten months I couldn't even leave her alone when I left the room. She is much better now but we still keep bathroom and bedroom doors closed. However she got so used to being in the crate when we leave, she cries if she thinks we left the house without putting her in. Yesterday my husband and daughter left for the store while I was out in the laundry room. I heard Maggie crying and ran in to check on her. She was so surprised to see me, she thought she was left alone in the house. If we put her in the crate, she curls right up for a nap. If you have a system that is working, I wouldn't change it, however some of the people here who are more experienced that I am may have suggestions for you.

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
I've never heard that. Abby is crate trained. I trained her to sleep in her crate at night and we always crated her when we went out of the house. Now though she is never crated at night, only when we leave the house (and sometimes not even then) and she does just fine when we do crate her.

If it ain't broken, don't fix it, know what I mean?

·
Registered
50 Posts
The Dean,

Sophie is now 5 months old and has been using the crate since she was 9 weeks. We always put her in when we leave. We put her in and praise her and we do not leave immediately. We stay around for a few minutes so that she does not associate the crate with us leaving. She usually just rolls up in ball and goes to sleep. We have been very fortunate that she enjoys her crate. She now sometimes goes in her crate on her own when she wants some peace and quiet. I would suggest utilizing the crate as mucha as you can now while your pup is still young.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
If it is working you and Beasley, don't change anything.

Instructional books and advice from others should always be viewed as actions that have worked in their situation. Beagles are very individual and different in temperment, intelligence, security and perferences.

Our Beagle#1 and Beagle#2 are as different as night and day. Each one responds differently. One hates the crate. The other loves it.

Just because something works for us with our Beagles, does not mean it will work for you. The fact you are aware of your Beagles needs and care tells me you take the time necessary to insure Beasley is taught where her boundries are.

As long as your Beagle meets your expectation, enjoy the experience.

And that is a look hound you have. :wave:

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GN7Fjg9Upo

This was taken a while back, Charlie loves his crate so much. He brings everything to it he hides in it and he sleeps in it. He now graduated, he can stay home alone, he just goes back to the crate(open door) to sleep during our absence. Bigger crate now!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts