Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Banned
19,926 Posts
Welcome to Beagle World! :wave: You certainly have been busy with so many young ones. My Li'l Girl is a rescue, adopted when she was at least a year old, so I can't be of much help with the housebreaking. Wellington's still very young, though, and has had an unstable life up to now. My best advice would be to watch him closely, praise him highly when he "goes" outside, and give him time to adjust to his new home. Everyone here loves pictures of beagles and "honorary" beagles, so be prepared for begging. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

· Banned
19,926 Posts
Howdy and Welcome to Beagle World. All my rescues have been adults so I'm not much help on the house training but Beagles are big dogs in a compact form. The biggest difference between the dogs you are used to and a beagle is "beagles were bred for independent thinking" so when you say come, sit, fetch, etc..., they first evaluate the command and act accordingly and a good bunny smell trumps everything. They are very pack oriented and you are the leader of their pack so they will try to please. Letting them know how happy they make you when they obey a command will make them want to please you again! The nifty thing about a beagle is he/she can go from Macho big hunter to docile cuddle bug pack member as the time of day and situation warrants. I think beagles are easy to train if you realize that they are beagles, those methods that work on herding dogs and guard dogs don't work so well but treats, praise, and love work wonders. Welcome to the world of beagles and I'm sure happy Wellington has found a forever home! Bear has a lifetime buddy and Lily will have a best friend to grow up with!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.