Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I am always posting dogs in need of rescue. It can be hard to look at the sad faces. I just received a happy message from the rescue I volunteer with. It isn't a beagle story. I hope you don't mind. I think we are all pretty much softy dog lovers, whatever the breed. This brought happy tears to my eyes. I hope you enjoy it, as much as I did. This message is from foster mom, Lea.

At the end of September I got a new foster whose name is Cheney (but we call him Toby). He is a very handsome blanket back with a gorgeous dark face. His left rear foot only has three toes that are wrapped around each other and his foot is totally deformed. It doesn't slow him down much and when he wants to run, he does with three legs. If you want to see a photo of this beautiful boy, visit www.shepherdrescue.org and find him under the available dogs section. (also have a photo of his poor deformed foot!)

When I took him in to have him neutered, the pre-op labs indicated that his kidney values where way out of whack. After a trip to the internal vet, and a sonogram, it seems that his kidneys are only about 40% of the size they should be. The vet said that he might only have six months to live, or who knows - perhaps six years. There is no predicting his life span.

Knowing this, we thought that he would be a ward of the rescue and that he would be yet another permanent foster dog. In my mind, no one would be interested in adopting him so I was not in a hurry to get him posted on the web site.

I finally got around to putting him up on our web site and in less than 24 hours I had TWO different parties inquiring about him. And get this - they are both fabulous applicants.

When I took him to meet the first family yesterday, the dad was waiting outside for me to arrive. I told him that my biggest concern was that his 11 year old son would be devastated if Toby only lived for a couple of months. The dad told me that they had a family meeting the night before and he made sure his son understood what MIGHT happen. His son's response was that if Toby only had six months to live, they would make them a good six months. I had tears in my eyes. The mom has already contacted her vet and researched kidney disease and they decided that they would take him to the vet every three months to have his vitals checked. They also know that his special food will cost about three times what regular premium dog food costs. They are one of the nicest, kindest families I have met since I have been doing dog rescue.

The second applicant is a tech at an emergency vet hospital that our rescue uses. She already has one dog with kidney disease so she is very familiar with what might happen. We talked on the phone for over an hour and I feel like we are the exact same wave length.

I am just astounded that folks are willing to take on a dog with known issues. He also has a bad right elbow and arthritis in the same shoulder. But he is a magnificent fellow overall.

So, the moral of the story is that you just never can predict what might happen with a rescue dog!!!

Lea

Good Dogs for Good Homes
Virginia German Shepherd Rescue
www.shepherdrescue.org

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know, techie, right? There are some really good people in this world. Kinda makes up for the really crappy people.

·
Registered
264 Posts
so which one got the dog? although the vet tech has the skills and knowledge I do hope the family go the dog to love. Pulls on the heart strings to know there are people out there so caring for animals usually you just hear about the people who are not. thanks for sharing

1 - 7 of 7 Posts