Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is a good spray bottle to desipline a dog?

I notice i might need the help of a spray bottle to help with Dixie's Chewing and biting.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
would a spray or a squirt be better??

I got a bottle that has never been used, and it has a spray pattern. fine mist.

·
Registered
751 Posts
actually, I just use one from the dollar store. Standard bottle, works just fine. He doesn't like the spritz either way so the type doesn't matter in my case.

·
Registered
751 Posts
also, for a puppy that young maybe a spray will do it. Marley does not lke the spray. Sometimes I switch to the squirt so that I can have more intent, like hit the target. Either way though, she probably will not like either of them. Test it out. But be light I would say since she is so young. And not directly in the eyes. Spray downward.

You can also introduce bitter apple spray.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Any spray bottle that will give a stream will work... although I do quite enjoy using the Super Soaker or hose out back (just squirting it beside him does the trick). It's funny watching an adolescent Beagle trying to catch water after it has soaked into the ground with his head cocked to one side trying to figure it out where it went. :hysterical:

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
seems like a fine mist is getting her attention, i try to spray to the side, that way it don't get directly in her face.

·
Registered
187 Posts
One with both spray+stream would be ideal IMO. Derby hates getting wet and runs and hides when I try to spray the flea remover on him lol. But, anyway, wal*mart never lets me down. :thumbup:

·
Registered
96 Posts
A stream sprayer is probably the best way to go. We haven't had to use one yet on Myra (thankfully) but our obedience instructor covered them in class. It's only truly effective if you can squirt them and not let them realize that you personally did it. Once they know that it's dispatched by you and your little plastic bottle and not some sort of aqueous deity, it becomes a 'catch me if you can' punishment that they will get around by simply doing it when you're not around. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Just don't leave the spray bottle laying around where Dixie can get it. Caesar chewed holes in our sprayed bottles so we couldn't use them. Smart little guy /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
I've never used a spray bottle for Miss Shiloh, but I did try it with Poe the cat, to try to stop his scratching doorframes and walls. :angry: I just got a bunch of little inexpensive bottles from WalMart and put them around the house, the better to grab one when he started to scratch. I'm sorry to report that it didn't do any good--he'd just run when he saw me reach for a spray bottle, go to another wall and continue scratching! :grr: But on the plus side, now I never have to search for a spray bottle to mist my hanging plants!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Thanks to the spray bottle I can walk him in peace. He won't lung or go berserk when seeing another dog. Which will pull my arm out of the socket. You know, he is smart, I only squirt it on him once, followed with a command "be quiet". good boy. Now he will whimper a little, kept walking, sniffing, sniffing some more.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My daughter volunteers for a Lab rescue. they tell her to spray with Scope mint mouthwash (not in the eyes) if the water doesn't work. I asked a trainer about it and she said they hate mint.

My daughter was leary to try it but when she had her Lab in day care they used it. Water didn't do it for her dog so she finally started to try the scope. Now all she has to do is show her the spray bottle and she stops whatever she isn't supposed to be doing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts