Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I were getting ready for bed. We have been crating Sadie for the last month since she has potty issues in the middle of the night. (She was never crate trained and was always allowed to go outside at 3 or 4 am to do her thing.)Anyway, it's so cold we decided to let her sleep in the bed tonight. She would rather be there anyway. So I asked my husband if maybe I should wrap the leash around my waist and attach it to her collar to make sure she couldn't get down and pee. He said no, took the leash and cinched it around a part on the headboard. I looked at it, looked at Sadie and was doubtful that it would hold. I said, "All she has to do is..." and started to demonstrate (like a dog) how she could get it off....LOL He yells "Stop! Don't show her how! What are you doing?!" Since she's a beagle, all I could do was laugh and say "Oh....um, yea, I forgot"

Do you ever find yourself talking in code just because you have a beagle? My boys (5 and 8) think we're crazy! We just might be! :rotflmao:

·
Registered
55 Posts
We have to spell W-A-L-K and R-I-D-E or else Josie will go nuts...

I hope you're prepared to let Sadie crash with you guys every night. Josie used to have a bed on the floor, but a year ago in October, we had a major snow storm that knocked the power out for 4 days. We decided that it was just too cold for Josie to sleep on the floor by herself so invited her onto the bed. She wouldn't have it any other way now...

Josie is too lazy to get me up in the night when she wants to go out (she'd rather do her business on the living room floor then come back to bed...), so we close our bedroom door so she can't get out and she has to wake me up. I'm sure nothing would happen with your husband and you right there, but attaching a leash to a head board and then to your beag's collar sounds like an accidental hanging waiting to happen... Like I said, it probably won't happen, but happening once is once too many... Just a thought.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:Originally posted by Nolan:
We have to spell W-A-L-K and R-I-D-E or else Josie will go nuts...

I hope you're prepared to let Sadie crash with you guys every night. Josie used to have a bed on the floor, but a year ago in October, we had a major snow storm that knocked the power out for 4 days. We decided that it was just too cold for Josie to sleep on the floor by herself so invited her onto the bed. She wouldn't have it any other way now...

Josie is too lazy to get me up in the night when she wants to go out (she'd rather do her business on the living room floor then come back to bed...), so we close our bedroom door so she can't get out and she has to wake me up. I'm sure nothing would happen with your husband and you right there, but attaching a leash to a head board and then to your beag's collar sounds like an accidental hanging waiting to happen... Like I said, it probably won't happen, but happening once is once too many... Just a thought.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
whoops, I did that wrong...I was trying to quote parts of what you said and I hit the wrong button...

Anyway, Sadie has actually always slept in the bed with me from the time I got her (last summer) because that's what she did with her last owner and she didn't even know what a crate was. After spending all the time since then to keep her from getting up and doing her business on the bedroom floor, I was told by the vet that the only way it would change was for me to start crate training. So I did. That in itself was a long process. The sight of the crate would make her tremble. I had to start by putting her food next to the crate and slowly putting it inside the crate each time a little further inside until she was completely comfortable being in there. She hates being in there at night and is slowly slowly getting used to it. It's the only thing that keeps her from going on the floor at night. Sometimes I would loop my hand in her collar so she couldn't move off the bed without waking my up but that's hard to do while sleeping.
I thought of the hanging thing this morning when I woke up, so I checked the leash. My husband kept it short so it wouldn't allow her enough room to go over the side of the bed but I don't think I can not worry enough about something happening to keep doing it as a regular thing. It's a work in progress, the crate thing. I sure would rather have her keeping my feet warm at night!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
We love cookies in our house and we also call the dog treats cookies. So if I'm in the kitchen getting cookies for myself I'll call out to Shane "Do you want any c-o-o-k-i-e-s?" Otherwise the dogs think they're getting treats. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
I have to spell W-A-L-K, P-A-R-K and C-H-E-E-S-E. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif We used to have a sweet little dog, Sassy, who loved to go for rides so much that I had to be very careful not to jingle the car keys, or in a flash she would be sitting at the door waiting to go! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
We have to talk in code for all our dogs. We trained the labs from a young age that "Meaty Bone" was their treat. Well, needless to say, if we utter that word, we now have 3 dogs at our feet, wanting a treat. Now we use "MB" as code. LOL

I also used to sing to the labs, "What would you do for a Meaty Bone?" Got to the point that I could whistle 3 notes of the tune and they'd come running. It took Duke about 2 times to pick up on that one. Now when he's outside and doesn't want to come in, I whistle the tune and he comes flying to the back door. Of course, then everbody has to get a treat.LOL They have me trained.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
On the first subject of sleeping arangements: Long story short, we did both the bed and the crate at night when Jersey was a puppy. If she was on the bed, we put the baby gate up in front of the door so she couldn't get out. She would tap at the door when she had to go out and wake us up. When she was a baby she couldn't even get off the bed by herself so she'd wake me up if she had to go out. We never had any accidents at night. Not one. My advice if you use the leash and the headboard idea is to either tie the leash short so she can't get to the edge and fall off and hang herself or get a longer one so that if she gets off the bed she won't get hung up (although that defeats the purpose really).

As for talking in code? Yup! We have to spell out certain words too otherwise Jersey gets all excited (walk, ride, treat, cookies). As I was reading your story, I was thinking the same thing your husband said. Don't show her how to get lose! LOL!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts