Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know he is still a puppy but... he still tries to get into the garbage and into my laundry hamper for socks. you would think after a lot of loud no's and a few "bad dog's" and so many more water bottle squirts he would not want to do thoes things..

and i know i have to be patient and i am. but sometimes it gets really frustrating becuase he doesnt even want to eat them anymore. he just runs in steals whatever and runs out and drops it half way down the hall way.

so is this a forever thing. or is there a better way to prevent or discourage him from getting into my laundry and my garbage.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I think it's forever. Unless, you find something that will "snap" him out of it. Like a spring in the laundry that will pop when he opens it.... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/tired.gif or maybe try spraying bitter apple on the edges of the garbage can and the laundry basket...

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
It sounds to me like Diesel thinks he has invented some great games. I am not a recent puppy owner but maybe you could try and substitute another toy or engage him in another game (that is more acceptable to you) to distract him. By just disciplining him without offering alternatives, he is not learning what to do instead of the laundry and garbage "games".
Am sure some folks with more recent puppy experience will come along and offer suggestions.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Jersey grew out of her kleptomaniacal tendencies when she got to be about a year and a half. She still has her moments (like this past Sunday!), but for the most part she's OK now. We used Bitter Apple on stuff. We also used these things we got at PetSmart to help. They work like a mouse trap with this big flappy piece of rubber that makes it jump whenever they touch it.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
For the time being, we've put the trash bin and the recycle bin on top of a little counter that rises beside the fridge. There's not a cabinet over it or anything, so the way is clear for kitchen-sized cans. Maybe I'll start taking down the cans in a few years, but until such time, it frees up floor space and keeps two inquisitive beagles from strewing garbage.

I still find clothes where the dogs go fishing in the laundry basket. We keep the laundry basket inside a closet in the bedroom, and the bedroom door is usually kept closed. But sometimes someone forgets to close the door. Luckily, no lingerie has been on display when company has been over.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Toby grew out of it around 5-6 years old! Now I have Lucky to do the laundry stealing! Funny, though, Toby would hide and chew it up. Lucky brings it to you. It's like he wants to see if he will get into trouble before he chews it!!

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Molly never did grow out of getting in the trash, but after she was about a year old she did stop stealing the laundry.

Maggie doesn't get into the trash, but she just LOVES to knock the hamper over and steal socks and underwear and run under the bed with them. Chews them up real good too!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Its an instinct thing. Beagles are completely ruled by their strong sense of smell to help procure food. As long as there are scents that provoke investigating, Diesel will continue to go trash diving. In time, once he learns there is no food in it for him, he probably won't give it a second thought.

Ours dosen't give the trash a glance anymore. But once in a while he is "overwhelmed by his senses" /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/greendevil.gif

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Raiding the trash is something that's hard to stop. My rubbish is kept in a cupboard under the stairs and the beags can't get to it.

My laundry is kept upstairs in the spare room and the dogs aren't allowed up there.

Prevention is better than cure I say so if you can organise things so that Diesel hasn't got access to the trash and laundry you are half way there.

Judy makes a good point about providing him with alternative games to play after you have disciplined him.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Yep, sounds like Marbles...he totally does it as a game..he pulls something out, and takes off, runs right in front of me, and when I try to catch him, he runs under the table away from me..cracks me up a bit but I get tired of running after him, so I put up a baby gate to keep him from going into the kitchen.

·
Registered
147 Posts
homer just turned a year old and he pretty much has outgrown that kind of stuff except for tissues in the bathroom garbage.he won't shred them anymore but just takes them out and and lays them on the rug. he's so funny-when i go in and see them i will call him and say"what did you do?"he gives me that sad face and slinks off to his cage.i can't be mad at him with that face and i know it could be alot worse!

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Maggie just turned two and still has her moments when she steals stuff. It is a game for her. She usually does it when I am on the computer. Clearly she is seeking my attention because she makes sure I see her with whatever she took. Usually she runs past me, tail wagging and sometimes with a little growl. Its my signal that I haven't been paying enough attention to her.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know he is plaing a game becuase he makes sure i see him take it or that i see he has it. and i have tried not chasing him but by the time he is board of it, its either shredded or has holes to the point where i cant wear it.

as for the kitchen, we learned a long time ago to put a baby lock on the cabnet its in. and its the bathroom garbages he gets in to... i try to shut all my doors but my house is built funny so they sometimes dont stay closed.

but thanks for the info i will try plaing a game with him or giving him a toy after telling him no..

hopefully this will work

·
Registered
220 Posts
My house is the same way, the basement door won't latch shut. When Monty was potty training i thought he was doing so good, but he was really just sneaking downstairs to pee! Luckily he stopped doing that, but he still gets into the garbage. He knows it's bad, cuz as soon as i get home he puts his head down and won't come to me. I've accepted the fact that i have to lock away my garbage and put my valubles up where he can't reach them!!

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
He thinks it is fun.

Ours got into the garbage and laudry when younger. They will still get into the garbage so we keep it in the pantry with the pantry door shut. Every once in a while Miss Sadie, even at 8 years old will run around with a pair of underwear in her mouth. She doesn't chew them anymore, just brings them out and leaves them in the middle of the living room floor.

I think he will outgrow some of this.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Well Meg will be 2 in July and she will get in the bin, the laundry, the peg basket and anywhere she shouldnt be. if she gets something, and you tell her No, she just runs off with it anyway. you can almost see her laughing. She especially likes the gloves and hats in the 'coat cupbaoard' and if she can get them, she will. basically we have to put everything away or out of beagle reach !! she may grow out of it, but when ??? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hihi.gif

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.